California water and Turtles -Pink!

Location (City and/or State)
Fresno, CA
Anyone out there dealing with poor water quality in central California or areas surrounding? I have noticed recently... only over the past year or less... all of the plastic fittings I have on my fish aquariums Turning pink! And just one toilet of ours (strange) refills the bowel with "pinkish" water!
Okay... so now real interesting.... and concern... my RES seem to have pink tint between their scutes! Not like blood poisoning.... more like the dang water is effecting them .... anyone else experience this? Anyway around it? Additional concerns? Anything!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
interesting I had used hose water for my red eared sliders for 30 plus years never experienced this I live in Southern California be interesting to find out what's causing it

eric joranson

Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Anyone out there dealing with poor water quality in central California or areas surrounding? I have noticed recently... only over the past year or less... all of the plastic fittings I have on my fish aquariums Turning pink! And just one toilet of ours (strange) refills the bowel with "pinkish" water!
Okay... so now real interesting.... and concern... my RES seem to have pink tint between their scutes! Not like blood poisoning.... more like the dang water is effecting them .... anyone else experience this? Anyway around it? Additional concerns? Anything!
with all the rain in CA this year; there have been alot of minerals being washed into local water supplies. Sounds like a hard water stain. Hopefully its not a red algae bloom.....can you add some photos so we can see exactly what you are talking about. Both tank and turtle.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would have the water tested and maybe make a call to your water department. You have no idea if it could be dangerous or not, but I would sure find out.

Fresno, CA
This is a pic of the smaller guy ... I will get a pic of the bigger one tomorrow (I must have not taken one correctly earlier :).. oops)
And my tank itself has an eheim 2073 canister filter and a 13w uv filter... I clean the water once a week... and all has been fine (past 2 years) until just recently.. well, 6m-1yr... they have a pink tint... as does one of the white elbow fittings... there are 4 large goldfish with them (friends.. not food... they grew together)

Attachments

• IMG_8954.JPG
    IMG_8954.JPG
    1,021 KB · Views: 12
Fresno, CA
Wow!!! Now that is some pink water in that Canada town! Yikes! I'm pretty convinced our water is just hard and not getting any better... and I am thinking now that "pink" tinge is from too much "iron" in the water supply from the city.... since our house is copper and PEX plumbing... it's not our our side. I will have to get the water tested and see what's going on ..... maybe a whole house water filter or conditioner is in need ??

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Wow!!! Now that is some pink water in that Canada town! Yikes! I'm pretty convinced our water is just hard and not getting any better... and I am thinking now that "pink" tinge is from too much "iron" in the water supply from the city.... since our house is copper and PEX plumbing... it's not our our side. I will have to get the water tested and see what's going on ..... maybe a whole house water filter or conditioner is in need ??
We don't have a whole house filter, but we bought a 5-filter system installed under our kitchen sink for our drinking and cooking water. We've had it for over 20 years; we change out the filters every 6 months and are always AMAZED at the crud those filters take out of the CITY water!!!!! Here in south Louisiana, with our high water table and massive oil/gas industry, the issue for me is possible petrochemicals and by-products in the water. Plus, when a hurricane uproots trees that disturb the water lines, God knows what could get in the water. :( They occasionally put out "boil water advisories" even without storms.

Then there's the brain-eating protozoan that has been found in the water on a few rare occasions down here. Two fatalities in the past 4 or so years, which isn't many, but it ain't gonna be me! :p

Filters are a GOOD thing!!!!!! :) :) ;)

Fresno, CA
....... Then there's the brain-eating protozoan that has been found in the water on a few rare occasions down here. Two fatalities in the past 4 or so years, which isn't many, but it ain't gonna be me! :p

Filters are a GOOD thing!!!!!! :) :) ;)

wow... yes yes yes.... Filters ARE a good thing!!! :)