California members...

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Any idea what killed the deer? Its been a mild winter as far as temperatures go. Plenty of food to eat this year. That would alarm me...

We found her alive and had to put her down. We've had a few nights below freezing, but don't think it had to do with weather. Just included it to add to the drama. We think the doe was sick for a while. She regularly was alone and yesterday we found her huddled under a tree. No movement when we approached her. Saliva dripping from her mouth, eyes squinted. No wild animal "rescues" would take her in. We called around, but no one rehabilitates adults. Only fawns. They sent someone out to shoot her. Luckily, the man that came out was compassionate. He gently layed a towel over her head, shot her twice, rested his hand on her, and then offered to help us bury her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We found her alive and had to put her down. We've had a few nights below freezing, but don't think it had to do with weather. Just included it to add to the drama. We think the doe was sick for a while. She regularly was alone and yesterday we found her huddled under a tree. No movement when we approached her. Saliva dripping from her mouth, eyes squinted. No wild animal "rescues" would take her in. We called around, but no one rehabilitates adults. Only fawns. They sent someone out to shoot her. Luckily, the man that came out was compassionate. He gently layed a towel over her head, shot her twice, rested his hand on her, and then offered to help us bury her.

I'd want to know COD.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Whatever caused this deer to die like that. Was it poison? Something contagious to other mammals? Something that could be harmful to my family or other pets?

I see. It's buried now. I'm not worried about it, but would have been interesting. Don't think disease can be transmitted from deer to humans other than through tick bites. We check ourselves regularly. Dogs are kept inside with outdoor access to an enclosed run. Tortoises in deer proof yard. We have huge herds of deer, turkeys, etc come through our property. This is the first, hopefully only, death.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
According to our weatherman, it is supposed to be VERY windy. It's not windy at all. Just a very light sprinkle happening. It's probably waiting until I'm ready to head out on my regular Friday errands, then all hell's gonna' break loose.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its already blowing 15-20 mph here with a light rain, but its supposed to unload here around 11am. We will see...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh boy. Its not just heavy rain, its also super windy. Now we are having sideways heavy rain!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oh boy. Its not just heavy rain, its also super windy. Now we are having sideways heavy rain!
Exactly the same here in Jordan. After it'd poured with rain last week, it's now FREEZING COLD, with temp dropping to ONLY 5 deg C during the day and to -2 during the night.....brrrrrr.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The creeks are really running here. My daughter calls the little creeks here the Colorado River when they are running like this. She wants to go play in them. "No." Was my answer.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yeah here in the Houston area we've already had two floods in my area . Where I work the neighborhoods around Kingwood flooded just months apart . You would think a dry place like California would have areas where they could utilize all this winter rain fall .

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Yeah here in the Houston area we've already had two floods in my area . Where I work the neighborhoods around Kingwood flooded just months apart . You would think a dry place like California would have areas where they could utilize all this winter rain fall .
Once the reservoirs are filled, there is no place else for the water to go. If they fill up now, there will be no more room when the snow melts in the Spring. Where I live, we have many large basins that fill up with water in every rainstorm.

It's been raining steadily all day, not hard though and no wind for us.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

That would be a great idea, but instead of spending our money where we should be spending it, like on infrastructure and long over due dam repairs (Referring to Oroville here…), we spend it on ridiculous non-sense that no one wants like a multi-billion dollar rail line that no one will use. The politicians here create problems and then jump up down down crying about the very same problems they just created. Its crazy here, I tell ya'.