California members...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Tom's pretty far south of there, and I'm a bit north of Tom, but still far south of that dam. It's a very scary situation, isn't it? I'm so glad I don't live there. I've been watching it on the news too. The force of that water is amazing. And the line of cars to get outta' dodge! Wow! My other sister, the one I don't talk to, lives in Oroville. I just looked at my list of members and I don't have anyone showing they live in Oroville. That doesn't mean no members do, it just means no ones's said they do.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Tom's pretty far south of there, and I'm a bit north of Tom, but still far south of that dam. It's a very scary situation, isn't it? I'm so glad I don't live there. I've been watching it on the news too. The force of that water is amazing. And the line of cars to get outta' dodge! Wow! My other sister, the one I don't talk to, lives in Oroville. I just looked at my list of members and I don't have anyone showing they live in Oroville. That doesn't mean no members do, it just means no ones's said they do.
Thanks, Yvonne!!!!!!! :)
Glad you're safe.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Oroville is only about 12,000 or so people. The largest communities evacuated were downstream a bit in Marysville and Yuba City area. I'm a bit south of the areas affected by the Feather river, but around me, many of my friends are flooded by Deer Creek and the Consumnes river as well as the Mokelumne. Those two are the only main rivers that have no flood control at all on them.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
It's so scary!! Almost 200,000 people were evacuated!
They knew for 10yrs there was a problem!
I hope everyone follows the evacuation orders. I know one lady who's husband had stayed while her and the kids left town.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I'm south of Yvonne so we're safe. My husband used to live in Marysville. I can't imagine leaving your home, not knowing if there will be anything left to come home to. I wonder how many have flood insurance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is anyone in California building an ark yet?
That made me laugh.

We get a little rain here once every 10 years and people think the sky is falling. Louisiana gets more rain in 10 minutes than we've had here all winter long.

… that may be an exaggeration. Its probably more like 30 minutes. :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That made me laugh.

We get a little rain here once every 10 years and people think the sky is falling. Louisiana gets more rain in 10 minutes than we've had here all winter long.

… that may be an exaggeration. Its probably more like 30 minutes. :)
Just to keep the perspective on Northern California...

Baton Rouge, LA has had 10.03" of rain since Jan 1st this year. That is a little more than usual for them.
Sacramento has had over 15" of rain since Jan 1st this year.
The areas in the foothills and mountains just above us has had over 3 times that amount.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just to keep the perspective on Northern California...

Baton Rouge, LA has had 10.03" of rain since Jan 1st this year. That is a little more than usual for them.
Sacramento has had over 15" of rain since Jan 1st this year.
The areas in the foothills and mountains just above us has had over 3 times that amount.

We've had between 2.68" and 5.15" of rain down here in January. I've been in 5 minute storms in Louisiana that dropped 5-6" of rain. Not exaggerating.

I'm not surprised rainfall has been much heavier up your way, but man, you should see the weeds down here. All-you-can-eat buffet for my tortoises!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
We've had between 2.68" and 5.15" of rain down here in January. I've been in 5 minute storms in Louisiana that dropped 5-6" of rain. Not exaggerating.

I'm not surprised rainfall has been much heavier up your way, but man, you should see the weeds down here. All-you-can-eat buffet for my tortoises!
That is the good news! Lots of great weeds and new grasses to harvest every day now. It's great!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

My lawn and weeds look great! Charlie is in Tortoise Heaven. We had 3 1/2 inches of rain in January. I've been in a few of those summer rainfalls in Louisiana. It is a lot more water in a very short period of time than I've ever seen in California.

Patty P

5 Year Member
Rockland County, NY
I hope this means CA is out of drought mode. Hopefully you guys will get less brush fires this summer.

My brother in Long Beach CA said he had to dust off the lawn mower and mow! Something he hasn't done in a long long time.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hope this means CA is out of drought mode. Hopefully you guys will get less brush fires this summer.

My brother in Long Beach CA said he had to dust off the lawn mower and mow! Something he hasn't done in a long long time.

Not really. This is a mere drop in the bucket. Most of this water isn't staying here. What we need is a really thick snow pack.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

Our snowpack is 150% of normal over the entire Sierra, and we are at 200% of rainfall in N Calif. Getting more rain and snow as I type. Officially all of Northern - about 66% of the state is now well out of drought mode according to water resources.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hopefully you guys will get less brush fires this summer.

Actually, its the opposite. The more the weeds grow up with the winter rains, the more there is to burn when everything dries out in June. There will be A LOT to burn after all the rain we've had this winter.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
I live in NorCal. Raining here now. We've had over 14" for the month of February alone. Over 72" on the year. 7 live oaks down on our property. Landslides on the highways. Roads collapsing. We had a deer die on our property yesterday. Not always peaceful in the mountains...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in NorCal. Raining here now. We've had over 14" for the month of February alone. Over 72" on the year. 7 live oaks down on our property. Landslides on the highways. Roads collapsing. We had a deer die on our property yesterday. Not always peaceful in the mountains...

Any idea what killed the deer? Its been a mild winter as far as temperatures go. Plenty of food to eat this year. That would alarm me...