Calcium Carbonate

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Gilchrist Co., Florida
Do any of you have a source for bulk Calcium Carbonate?
I would prefer a "Block" form.
I can't use the tiny "Turtle block" from a pet store.

Thanks.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
t_mclellan said:
Do any of you have a source for bulk Calcium Carbonate?
I would prefer a "Block" form.
I can't use the tiny "Turtle block" from a pet store.

Thanks.

I use the "Now" brand. However it's powder form. Not sure if they have a block kind.

www.nowfoods.com

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Cuttlebone-available in 2, 3, 5 lb. and larger quantities from bird supply vendors. One vendor sells broken cuttlebone pieces in bulk (perfect for tortoises) on Ebay on a fairly regular basis.

S

stells

Do you have Horse supply shops that sell food grade limestone flour... if so you can make your own by mixing it with some water... then drying them out...

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Kelly, what's this? Limestone flour?
I am not familiar with that. Do you do that?
Thanks na

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
stells said:
Do you have Horse supply shops that sell food grade limestone flour... if so you can make your own by mixing it with some water... then drying them out...

Now I really feel stupid!
But THANKS!
My wife has a bunch of those crazy jello molds! I think I'm gona have fun with this!
Yeah, That's RIGHT, I'm EXCITED!!!

S

stells

Limestone flour is used over here as a suppliment to keep horses hooves healthy...

I have been using it for a few years now and make my own blocks... the tortoises love it... its just basically pure calcium carbonate...

Have fun with the jelly moulds... I see rabbit shaped limestone blocks in your future lol

Here is what it is... you should be able to get it over there... you have horses right?? lol
http://www.tackdirect.co.uk/prod_show.asp?id=1591&ref=froogle&prodid=1591

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi, thanks for the link. Not only do we have horses over here. I have 4 of them. Just never even heard of this. We use lime on the stalls to absorb the smell of pee. But I was sure that was not what you were talking about. I am going to check it out!!!Now if I could just find my husbands jello molds!!
Na

S

stells

No it wouldn't be the lime you use for the pee...

This is food grade.... the other stuff like garden lime would be lethal

Calcium carbonate with no vits added that you already use for your tortoises should work this way too... you just need enough water to make a firm block... so its not to runny... then leave on the window sill to set

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
That NOW shop is great! Thanks! I have been having a lot of trouble finding bulk calcium carbonate. The pet feed stores here have it for poultry but is fairly large pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.