Cage cleaning/weight gain

TortorellaMom

How often should I completely clean out and replace substrate in aquarium? We've had our Tortorella a little over two weeks and have added substrate, such as timothy hay, peat moss, reptile bark. He still very little...palm of hand little.

Also, to me, it seems as though he is still so small. What should his weight gain be this little?

Eating normally and having bowel movements normally.

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't use any kind of hay as it molds when wet. With the orchid bark I use I only totally clean it all out once a year. Otherwise I spot clean and stir it up and add water.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I concur with Yvonne on this for sure. Spot cleaning, adding extra coir/orchid bark every once in awhile, removing uneaten food, keeps things clean. Our sully pretty much always defecated during his daily soaks, so this kept the enclosure very clean. Definitely remove any hay-type substrates, these will easily mold in high humid, high heat conditions like you should have for your young Sully.

Bee62

Germany
I agree that hay only causes mold in the enclosure of a tortoise ( when it`s a species like a sulcata that needs high humidity ).
Mold is dangerous for torts ( for their lungs ) and can cause bad respiration infects. I would remove it quickly.
How old is your little tort and how much does it weight ?