Not open for further replies.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
https://www.facebook.com/KapidoloFarms

Right now I'm offering free samples of dried opuntia cactus pad as a food item. My own and a few others are having good results with offering dry, and it is much more convenient than dealing with whole fresh pads.

Moistened and mixed in with your 'regular' salad it is a good source of long fiber. Some individuals will take it dry as a stand alone treat, most prefer it well wetted. It actually smells good and we all know tortoises use sight and smell to determine if they want to eat something.

Right now what I'm sending out are three - ten gram samples of different size pieces. That one ounce is about equivalent to a half pound of fresh catus, less all the water. Moat all the other nutrients that are complex large molecules are retained in my drying process. The elemental nutrients are present at the same levels as fresh, relative fiber is higher than fresh.

This is what you get as a free sample large, small, and medium size pieces. When fresh the cut sizes are, Large, pad width and 1/8 inch by 2 inch cut along the length of the pad to preserve long fiber. The small are 1/8 x 1/8 by 1/4 to 3/8 inch, medium are 1/8 x 1/8 by 1 inch. water loss is 90% plus. The cut size minimum is to reduce juicing so the mucilage is kept inside undamaged plant cells.

I am also making larger pieces for large tortoises, but I'm trialing them more at home. I just tried making a "leather" but that is still in developmental stages as well.

When/If I sell it, by ordering here on TFO with a PM, I'll give an automatic 10% discount of whatever 'regular' price is determined. Right now samples are free, for a limited time, one per household.

Thanks go to Barbara aka Wellington for clearing some of the path to this idea. Other early adopters will get the super TFO discount ??%.

PM with your mail address and actual real name like the postman sees it for your sample.

Attachments

• 2015-09-06 17.13.21.jpg
    2015-09-06 17.13.21.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
Status
Not open for further replies.