Buying plants

Tort1419

Hey does anyone know a website that sells plants/cacti that are already like half grown, but have no pesticides that were ever sprayed on them. Sure I could get cactus from the store, but there is no guarantee that it's safe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is the problem. You either grow them from seed, which takes forever, or you find them from long established plants that you know are safe. For example, I feed a lot of stuff out of my parents backyard because those plants have been there for years and I KNOW no chemicals or pesticides are used on them.

Be cautious. A lot of unscrupulous people will just tell you what you want to hear to make a sale. If the plant in question is in any normal store, grown at a commercial nursery, it is almost certainly full of systemic pesticides which can take a year to dissipate.

As much as I dislike people feeding a lot of grocery store greens to tortoise, that is better than taking chances with plants you cannot be sure of.

Tort1419

Ok and also @Tom how often should I feed my Russian tortoise. Is it like every other day or something. And what kind of supplement do you use, how often how much? Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok and also @Tom how often should I feed my Russian tortoise. Is it like every other day or something. And what kind of supplement do you use, how often how much? Thanks

I feed mine the right stuff every day. I like them to be able to graze at will. I also house them in large outdoor enclosures so they get plenty of exercise and have more "natural" temperature gradients.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My local grocery store sells cactus pads. They are huge and cheap. I feed One over the course of a week about once a month. I also get dandelion greens there. Ethnic grocery stores may have a better selection for you. Some of the Seed mixes you can buy grow relatively quickly.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
If you know someone who has cactus that hasn't been treated with anything, it's really easy to grow and it grows quickly.