Buying an aloe vera, safety

Kori5

What do you do when you buy s plant for a tortoise enclousure? I found a man who sells aloe vera and will buy one for my little friend. He said he didn't treat it with chemicals because he males juice from it. But my concern is the soil. Should I repott it? :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Aloe will grow in just about anything so there's a good chance that the soil is just plain old dirt. But re-potting it wont hurt. It is edible but most torts DO NOT like the taste.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I bought some to use at times when my leopard seems a bit constipated - he wouldn't touch it at first so I used to grate it to a mush and feed on leaves, but now he loves it and although I still only use it to get things moving he now loves it and would eat a whole plant if I let him.

Kori5

Thank you. The plant is actually for decoration purpose :).But it's nice to know it's safe if he ocasionally nibbels it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you. The plant is actually for decoration purpose :).But it's nice to know it's safe if he ocasionally nibbels it.
I repotted mine in safe soils and waited several (almost 6) months until any past chemicals had grown out.
If you bury the whole pot in the substrate it will be easy to replace if he does demolish it.

Kori5

I repotted mine in safe soils and waited several (almost 6) months until any past chemicals had grown out.
If you bury the whole pot in the substrate it will be easy to replace if he does demolish it.
I bought a Rosemary too because it is our Med plant and he is a Dalmatian Hermann so I figured he'll like it. I washed it in water and put it in a bigger pot. It is told to be a organic plant and sold on a human food department in store. Should I still repott?

Kori5

Here it is.

Attachments

• 20151121_120732.jpg
    20151121_120732.jpg
    913.7 KB · Views: 6

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I bought a Rosemary too because it is our Med plant and he is a Dalmatian Hermann so I figured he'll like it. I washed it in water and put it in a bigger pot. It is told to be a organic plant and sold on a human food department in store. Should I still repott?
I may be overly cautious, but I would, so I know for sure the soil is Ok, but I am a bit OCD about my tort!