Buying a turtle online

Sanchez

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago,IL
I'm debating buying a turtle online. Before I do so, I'd like to hear from others who have done so. What website did you use? Did the turtle/tort arrive healthy? Would you do it again?

Sanchez

Chicago,IL
Ornate/painted wood turtle (Rhinoclemmys pulcherrima manni). I would prefer to find a breeder, but I'm not having much luck tracking one down. I live near Chicago. There are reptile specialty shops and regular exotic animal shows in the Chicagoland area, and still can't find a breeder. Theres one shop that in the past has had r.p. manni but doesn't right now. However, I don't know if they breed them or buy them from a breeder.

Sanchez

Chicago,IL
I'm in no rush to get a turtle though. I may luck out and find a local breeder soon. Right now, I'm just curious about other peoples experience buying a turtle online. I'm personally skeptical about the idea of buying a turtle from a website. But if others have had success with it maybe I'll do it at some point in the future.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I have bought torts on line with great luck . And some of our members are on line example Andy is a great person with great torts at a great price ( witch is a fare price ) and he's the has the AZ tortoise compound . He Evan puts his phone number on his web page !

Sanchez

Chicago,IL
~ I so agree, best is to actually see the tortoise before you actually purchase!
I agree as well. But like I said, I'm not having much luck finding a breeder of r.p. manni turtles.

I'm not really looking for a debate over whether or not I should buy online, I am asking about peoples experiences buying a turtle online. I'd just like to know what websites are legit and which ones are shady. I'm also curious about the stress of shipping. Most websites seem based out of FL,TX,AZ, or CA so shipping to Chicago from any of those would be quite a journey for a turtle traveler.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
~ I so agree, best is to actually see the tortoise before you actually purchase!

To buy common species like pulcherimma manni its all the time better to buy them from a breeder. Many online shops who sell them get them fresh from the wildness and if you can't see them before you get them they send you often sick animals. I buy my turtles tortoises only online if there's no other way.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
There is a turtle and tortoise classified on Facebook, many people there sell many kinds of Rhino's I have not paid attention to the area they are from. There is also a BOI for turtle and tortoise sellers as well on Facebook. Buying from a local breeder is a good idea.

You might check in with the Chicago Herpetology Society, one of the those before the internet kind of things where people meet each other in a large auditorium, not hidden behind a keyboard and screen, where you all meet face to face. They still exists and there are no doubt many people at one of those meeting that could help you find a local breeder.

I know I know scary sh!t meeting real people in real space face to face. But if your criteria is buying from a local breeder you have to pretend it's about 20 years ago when people were social in-person.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I agree as well. // shipping // quite a journey

~ I know of three imported baby aldabras that were shipped from Florida last year to three different destinations and all three were DOA via UPS. Insurance does not cover deaths only if lost from what i understand. We are so reluctant regarding shipping!

wizard1962

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
I have bought torts on line with great luck . And some of our members are on line example Andy is a great person with great torts at a great price ( witch is a fare price ) and he's the has the AZ tortoise compound . He Evan puts his phone number on his web page !
Living in PHX I have been to Andy's ATC compound. He should advertise and charge admission to just walk around his tort farm. It's really cool.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I have had good luck with faunaclassifieds, but have to try to weed out the captive bred vs wild caught. I have had extensive experience with both and always try to exclusively buy captive bred but have in the past ended up with animals obviously wild caught once they arrived. Mortality rates on wild caught is quite high no matter what you do. They are extremely stresses out, and their natural parasite load goes crazy and that alone often kills them. Most reputable dealers / breeders often do not even ship this time of year due to temps, despite using heat packs, and in the summer really need to watch temps as well to choose when to ship. I know you're not wanting opinion on captive, vs wild, but please do everything to find a breeder, or at least very long-term captive

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.

I have to agree, I purchased all 3 of my Tort Hatchlings (Russian, Hermanns, & Sulcata) from Andy and they're doing great! I'd recommend the AX Tortoise Compound for sure. Good luck in your search.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
My only experience was with Backwater. I bought 2 Leopard hatchlings. They both died.

Jimb

5 Year Member
Colorado Springs, Co.
I have to agree, I purchased all 3 of my Tort Hatchlings (Russian, Hermanns, & Sulcata) from Andy and they're doing great! I'd recommend the AX Tortoise Compound for sure. Good luck in your search.

Oops, that should have read AZ Tortoise Compound. Fat-fingered it I guess.

popeye tortoise

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I got my Aldabra on line and he /she was healthy and is doing fine. But as you said it is important to see the animal. Although I did see pictures once I got him/her it had an extra scute that wasn't visible in the pictures and I did have chance to send it back but this little guy had been through a lot being just shipped. Make sure you use a reputable source. Good Luck.