1. Hello guest! Are you a Tortoise enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tortoise keepers to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tortoise and enclosure and have a great time with other Tortoise keepers. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email us using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of this page!

Butternut squash

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Isa, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isa

Isa New Member

Hello all

I have read butternut squash were good for tortoises. Hermy (a Hermann :D) is 1 year old. I heard baby tortoise should not eat pumpkin but can I give butternut squash to hermy (I think it is in the same family of a pumpkin), if yes, can I give her some every week or only as a treat once in a while

Thanks

Isa
  2. egyptiandan

egyptiandan New Member

I give my tortoises butternut squash once a week. :D Yes it has the same worming effect as pumpkin, just not in as high a concentration as pumpkin.

Danny
  3. Diana Stone

Diana Stone New Member

I have given my torts butternut squash too. I put it in the food chopper to make it small and easy to swallow. They love it as much as carrots. :D
  4. Isa

Isa New Member

Can I give her some even if she is 1 year old?

Hermy lovesss carrots as much as she loves sweet potatos :D

Thanks

Isa
  5. egyptiandan

egyptiandan New Member

Yes you can Isa :D

Danny
  6. Isa

Isa New Member

Thanks Danny

Hermy is going to be very happy :D

Isa
  7. elegans

elegans New Member

Feed away, I give it to all of my guys. I also feed a HUGE amount of pumpkin for a very short period of time right after Halloween, when I get all of the unsold pumpkins for free from a few grocery stores. Again with no ill affect. On my big guys I don't even bother to remove the seed from them anymore. The seeds sprout and they eat the pumpkin sprouts, wow now that is recycling! LOL Best wishes Douglas Beard / Flora & Fauna
  8. Isa

Isa New Member

Thanks Elegans

I gave a bit of butternut squash to Hermy yesterday. I could tell she really liked that :D, her face was all dirty haha

Isa