Butternut Squash?

Gopherus Guy

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, California
Has anyone ever had trouble with feeding your Tortoise Butternut or Acorn Squash? I have a large Desert Tortoise and he has trouble with the thick skin. Should I Skin it snd just feed the inside of the squash?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Mine has trouble as well. She a Russian so probably even smaller than yours.

Mine only gets the rare piece of squash and since I want her to "work" for her food, I cut her a thin slice. Small enough for her to hold down with one leg and rip bits off. I'm not sure she's ever actually eaten any rind, just the flesh.

If I wanted to make it easier on her or wanted to give her a larger piece, I'd cut some or all of the rind off. For now, she likes squash enough she'll REALLY work on getting a bite.

I think you can go either way on this; if peeling it makes you more comfortable, do it. :)

Gopherus Guy

San Diego, California
Mine has trouble as well. She a Russian so probably even smaller than yours.

Mine only gets the rare piece of squash and since I want her to "work" for her food, I cut her a thin slice. Small enough for her to hold down with one leg and rip bits off. I'm not sure she's ever actually eaten any rind, just the flesh.

If I wanted to make it easier on her or wanted to give her a larger piece, I'd cut some or all of the rind off. For now, she likes squash enough she'll REALLY work on getting a bite.

I think you can go either way on this; if peeling it makes you more comfortable, do it. :)
Thanks for the advice. Peeling it sounds best. He doesn't give up though, he'll use his Big Scaly legs to rip it apart. He's a tough guy!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I grater the raw pumpkin for my baby redfoots, they love it. It is also recommended for the green iguanas. But they all like the pumpkin plant leaves even more!