Bugs on my plants...

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
I brought plants in from outside to start a "winter garden" food source. Bugs came in with them. Little winged bugs that just attach to the stems & don't do much but still....... My chicory is infested!
Is there any organic, home remedy that I can spray on the plants to get rid of these? Obviously need something tortoise safe.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I sometimes spray vinegar all around my hibiscus when they have ants... I just make sure to wait a few days after spraying to feed, and I wash the leaves and flowers off extremely well before handing them out :D

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I sometimes spray vinegar all around my hibiscus when they have ants... I just make sure to wait a few days after spraying to feed, and I wash the leaves and flowers off extremely well before handing them out :D

Cool! Does the vinegar kill or just detour the bugs do you know? Straight vinegar or water vinegar mix?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
You dont really have to do that, in my opinion. Just wash well and scrub well and feed. Someone correct me of I'm wrong.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
You dont really have to do that, in my opinion. Just wash well and scrub well and feed. Someone correct me of I'm wrong.
That would work super well too, I just like to be safe, just in case some bugs were left :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Cool! Does the vinegar kill or just detour the bugs do you know? Straight vinegar or water vinegar mix?
I use a watered down mix because straight vinegar smells terrible :confused: I just know that it deterred any ants from coming back.. I have no idea what it does to them :eek::rolleyes::)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I had ants... lismar, do you know what type of buggies you have? Maybe they're just fruit flies??

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I had ants... lismar, do you know what type of buggies you have? Maybe they're just fruit flies??

This is one of them. The other is not a fruit fly but it is a small winged bug, I will see if I can get a pic on here. Whitney_Cranshaw_Colorado_State_University_ Bugwood.org.jpg