1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
  2. Hey Guest! Pre-order your 2015 Tortoise Calendar TODAY! Proceeds go to keeping TFO online and FREE for everyone! Thanks for your love and support!

Bugs in enclosure

Discussion in 'Tortoise Health' started by The Adjustor, Oct 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Adjustor

The Adjustor New Member

I just put some more soil and moss in my torts soon-to-be new enclosure to make the humid hide. I noticed a few small bugs in the dirt after i mixed it all in. I think it was from the moss because I noticed them inside the humid hide and I've never seen them anywhere before (I don't use moss anywhere else but the humid hide). Are these going to be a problem? They are very small oval shaped white bugs. I only saw maybe 5 or 6 and I killed all the ones that I could, but I think one or two may have gotten away, and who knows how many were hidden.
  2. dmarcus

dmarcus Active Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I don't think they will be an issue for your tortoise, I think they bother us humans more.. I would keep an eye on it...
  3. jackrat

jackrat Active Member

Most likely won't harm the tort.You can kill them with diatomaceous earth,sprinkled on the substrate.
  4. The Adjustor

The Adjustor New Member

Thanks for that tip. I don't expect it to become a problem, but if I keep noticing them I might try that.
  5. Redstrike

Redstrike Well-Known Member

From the description, they're most likely collembolans and/or fungus knats, both are common detritivores and should be harmless to you and your tort/torti.
  6. stuntdouble

stuntdouble New Member

Just a side note that diatomaceous earth (DE) is bad for respiratory systems so apply when they are not around and spray to keep dust down but, they're probably fine I have the same prob. I just take their food out after while too seems to help a little. I wouldn't risk a respiratory infection I just live with it
  7. zesty_17

zesty_17 Member

we get those a lot in the moss used in our ectotherm habitats (mostly frog habs), they shouldn't hurt your torts.