Bubbles?

Chrismiss

So, recently, i took my baby hermanns tortoise outside to enjoy the sun while soaking. When I dried him off, i noticed while he was breathing through his nose, i could see some little bubbles that would go in and out. Is he sick, or is this normal. And what could have caused this to happen?

Chrismiss

It was only 70 degrees out today, I don't think he would over heat in that, considering his enclosure is already around 70 and around 90 in the hot spot

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Was he in direct sunlight, though? An air temperature of 70 is much different than a group temperature of 70! (The air would be cooler, if the group temp is 70) My greek had bubbles from overheating occasionally when he was much smaller. Best thing to do is make sure to keep them in a nice shady spot.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
He might have started to overheat.
I agree. An air temperature of 70F can lead to temperatures at tortoise level, especially in full sun, being MUCH hotter.

This is most likely overheating

Use a temperature gun type thermometer outside and see what the temperatures actually are.

I had a play with mine outside in this thread where a sunny 59F day led to temperatures at 104F at ground level in one sunny spot! See here
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/demonstrating-the-effect-of-blue-slate-on-temperature.141716/

Chrismiss

He was in some shade, but usually when I put him in the sun, he likes to move more. But even when i did that he didnt.