Bubbles on the Nose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyamal

5 Year Member
Hello,

Few weeks back I found an abandoned baby tortoise, after research I came to know it was a Aldabra giant tortoise. I have kept him with me. I live in India, Mumbai. The climate here is humid. I don't have much knowledge of the habitat of this reptile. I am not even sure if this tortoise is legal. I am afraid to give it to the local zoo the reason being i have not seen any animal survive there for long.. Two days back he started blowing bubbles from his nose. I took him to a Vet. he had no knowledge on this species. I have two cockatiel and have some exotic fishes, if they are ill I treat them my self using TERRAMYCIN and paracetamol. Terramycin is used to cure infection and paracetamol aids immunity. My Cockatiels are 7 years old and never had issues with the medication I gave them. My question is, can I treat this little fellow with the same, or reptiles have a different metabolism. I can't find any one who can take responsibility.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It sounds like a respiratory infection. Look out for ALDABRAMAN (you'll find him in the photo thread if nowhere else) ... there's nothing he doesn't know about aldabras and send him a Private Message.

Good luck :)

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I doubt Terramycin will do the job. Can your vet give you some Baytril?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Are you able to post a pic of your awesome find? And I would not freak out about the bubbles right away...remember that this tortoise was on the move and likely very stressed....stress can encourage bubbles.....where do you house him, what sun/heat exposure are you offering him?

Also, welcome to the Forum...and would love to see a picture of him :D

Shyamal

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
It sounds like a respiratory infection. Look out for ALDABRAMAN (you'll find him in the photo thread if nowhere else) ... there's nothing he doesn't know about aldabras and send him a Private Message.

Good luck :)

Thanks Joes, I will find ALDABRAMAN and ask him.

Shyamal

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
I doubt Terramycin will do the job. Can your vet give you some Baytril?

Thanks for your suggestion kimber, I will check with our vet. Although I have heard that baytril may cause serious reactions. Any opinions on that or any alternative antibiotic ?

Shyamal

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Are you able to post a pic of your awesome find? And I would not freak out about the bubbles right away...remember that this tortoise was on the move and likely very stressed....stress can encourage bubbles.....where do you house him, what sun/heat exposure are you offering him?

Also, welcome to the Forum...and would love to see a picture of him :D

I haven't yet taken pic of him, I found him last week, since then I am trying to know more about him and make him survive. I will take a pic of him today and send it. I have kept a woolen cloth covered in a small plastic tub and another woolen cloth in which he hides and sleeps. I keep him in the sun at noon for about 30min to an hour. After reading a lot I realized that I have to keep him in a little warm water for 30 to 40min so he can hydrate. One thing I noticed is that he usually poops when in water. The day I got him home I researched a bit on his habitat. Very less information on this species. Is it an endangered species ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Shyamal:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

I would be pretty surprised if what you have is an Aldabran tortoise. More than likely it is an Indian black turtle. This is a water turtle and should be in water.

We'll need to see a picture to be able to help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.