Bubbles in Tortoise Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston
You need the humidity in his enclosure high..like 80%...Rain will have no effect at all..I'm 99.9% sure he will be fine...Nothing at all to do with chickens

susancarol

5 Year Member
The humidity was always over 80%. today is it higher because of the rain I have a meter and always has been. I really hope you are right that she will be fine. I believe this is a upper respiratory infection. Tomorrow she is going back to the Vet for another checkup. Just for the record, I have never seen an animal react so severely to another animals death. The two tortoises were inseparable. The picture with the marco lense and the flash makes here look old, but she is really quite beautiful and healthy looking.

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I'ld bet money on it being dehydration. If it was respiratory infection,you'ld have bubbley nose (not eyes) and possibly mouth breathing...He's dehydrated

susancarol

5 Year Member
The doctor gave her an injection of antibiotics and believes that she has an upper respiratory infection and eye infection. The doctor does not believe that the tortoise is dehydrated and believe she looks great. The doctor states that there has been 100% humidity. I am still going to increase the humidity and give her daily baths. I think pedialyte is a good idea so thanks for the suggestion. Does anyone have a recipe for this. I ususally make my own, but not for tortoises. Is there a mix for tortoise that anyone knows about.

The doctor who is a reptile expert says that he went to a tort symposium and they stated that shots can now be given in the back of the leg. I told him to inject the front.

Also, I really appreciate everyones help.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
susancarol said:
The doctor states that there has been 100% humidity.

I am very confused by this statement.

Also, I absolutely love welcoming new members and watching our community grow, but there are other things I am confused about. You joined looking for advice. Several members (including myself) gave you advice which you then told us was incorrect, and then went ahead and took your tortoise to the vet, who you say is a "reptile expert."

You say your tortoise looks great, but I am sorry, to me, she does not. I also have a "macro lens" on my camera, and none of my Redfoots have scales that look like that. The only Redfoot that I have had that had scales that looked like that was the horribly dehydrated and pyramided 2 1/2 year old dropped off at my house this past summer.

Also, overheating can cause bubbles in the eyes, as well as dehydration. I asked several posts ago what your temperatures are, and did not get an answer.

Did the veterinarian do any sort of swab or a culture? What was he basing his diagnosis on, other than what he "felt" the problem is? And what does "The doctor states that there has been 100% humidity." mean? Has the doctor tested the humidity levels in your enclosure? What qualifies him as a "reptile expert?" What specifically is his experience with tortoises?

I also need to point out, that just because it is raining does not mean that your tortoise isn't dehydrated. How long has it been raining? Does it rain every day where you are? If it does not, then rain means nothing in terms of hydration, or long term dehydration. If your tortoise does not have access to shade or cooler temps, then that can cause dehydration even if they have water available daily.

I am not trying to pick on you, but I am confused as to what it was that you wanted from us. Instead of taking our advice, you argued, made excuses, and went to the vet anyway.

I really hope that your tortoise recovers. But I also hope that you will take some of the advice we have given, answer some questions, and let us help you.

What is your climate like? What are your temps, where is your enclosure located, and how is it set up? What kind of water source, hide, and lighting does your Redfoot have? Those are the biggest questions I would like answers to.

M

Maggie Cummings

Having just gone thru this I know that there is just one place in the US that tests for mycoplasma and the test runs close to $500. There is no cure for mycoplasma and I am wondering why this poster wishes so hard that it is that. Bob has bubbles in his eyes often and I know it is because he is kept too dry.
But I am thinking because Kristina has now pulled this girls covers she will not be back...and I am going to see if Bob's shed is at 100% humidity yet...I am hoping that the outside rain will work...

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
An injection of antibiotic?..what antibiotic?..how many more shots do you need to give?

susancarol

5 Year Member
If anything I have learned from this is that I am going to take my tortoises to the vet once a year. This is the first time I took this animal to the vet. He states that it is mycroplasm and eye infection. I had him swab the eyes and culture it since we have other animals. I have to have my sister give a shot every three days. The tortoise is making a complete turn around. I think i made the right choice in the animals best interest.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You have to send of a sample of the tortoise's blood to test for mycoplasma. A vet can't test for it in his office. If I'm remembering correctly, you have to send your sample to Florida for the test. There's just no way in heck your vet "knows" that your tortoise has mycoplasma.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Not to be overly harsh, but the #1 thing I have learned from this thread is not to trust your vet.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Macro pics - is this close enough? -

DSC088812.jpg

.. clear nares?

Eyes - ( shown nesting in proper humidity ) -

1SONNest-1.jpg

See any difference susancarol?

NERD

BTW.. ask your Vet. how many "hands-on" years of experience with REDFOOT tortoises does he have? How many raised from hatchlings, bred, hatched and raised again to sub-adults?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm still concerned about the mixing of different species from the beginning of this thread. It seems very very very unlikely that a russian died of old age. More likely it died of parasites due to the stress of mixed company or a "bug" it caught from a tort from a different continent. Has your experienced tort vet told you that different species shouldn't be mixed?

BTW, my adult male sulcatas occasionally get the bubbles in the eye too, but I've never been able to figure out why. Its always dry too dry here, it can happen any time of the year, doesn't seem to be related to a particular food item or supplement, doesn't seem related their occasional soaks... The bubbles just appear once in a great while and then go away.
nmi3xk.jpg

Susan, we all want to help you. We all want to help everyone with a tortoise, really. But I must admit you have seemed a bit evasive. Here are some questions that would really help us to help you:
1. What are your 4 temps? Cool side, warm side, basking spot and night? Or are they outdoors?
2. What is the humidity percentage in the various parts of your enclosure and how are you measuring that?
3. What part of the country do you live in? This will give us an idea of your climate. Advice for Maggie in the PNW might be very different than for me in the CA desert, for example.
4. Who is your vet? We might recognize the name as a well known tortoise vet and that would carry a lot of weight with us.

Glad to hear your tort is doing better, but I'd still like to solve these mysteries AND the mystery of why he got sick in the first place. How about some more pics with different lighting to show us what you mean by how good he looks. How about pics of the enclosure and cagemate? We often find helpful clues in photos.

Hope you stick around. I view this as a learning experience for me, and hopefully you'll be able to learn some stuff here too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Susancarol:

This is a GREAT opportunity for you to look at the difference between a well-hydrated tortoise that is living in humid conditions (the macro pictures of Terry's tortoises in post #35), then jump back to your picture. You can plainly see the difference between an extremely DRY redfoot head (yours) and a redfoot that has been kept in humid conditions (Terry's).

The people on this forum really know their stuff. Please don't discount them.

After going back and forth between Susancarol's picture and Terry's picture I'm wondering if Susancarol's tortoise really is a redfoot.

susancarol

5 Year Member
I can only convey what the doctor states because he is the expert and a herpetologist. He treats all the ancients in our state. We are all here just hobbyist. The tortoise was put on antibiotics and it worked. I asked the doctor and he says the samples only get shipped to one place in the usa. He can not say it is conclusively Mycolplasm with out further test, but speculates. He does not believe that the tortoise is dehydrated, but I have the humidity over 90% just to be sure. Just how does the mechanism for bubble formation in the eyes form from dehydration, I don't understand this. It will from from snot and when a nare is blocked. I still believe this one is caused by infection. The doctor called me and states knowing what bug it is, is a mute point. My animal does not have pyramiding either. I take the word of the good doctor. Just so you know, good doctors know exactly what it is without any tests. there is another thread much the same as this one.He also went to the vet and the vet put the animal on baytril due to a bug. Mine also says there is an eye infection. I wish I found this thread. I would have went to the doctor sooner:

Greek wheezing, bubble eye

So the point is I am really happy that the animal responded to the antibiotic.

Does anyone have any experience with this. The results came back positive. From what I understand it is treatable, but not curable. I am really upset.

Mycoplasma qPCR
Results
D10120-01 Carol Swab 09-Dec-2010 Positive

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Yes I do.. in G. elegans.. aka Indian Star tortoises. The only way a tortoise can have Mycoplasma is from contact with another infected animal or transferred by handling an infected animal and then handling another one without proper disinfection.

The infection is similar to HIV in that it can lay dormant for a period of time and then if a slightest change occurs in their environment it can/will take the host down! It can happen in a matter of 2 days.

I have never heard of Mycoplasma in the redfoot community.

Terry K

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Could this redfoot have gotten it from the Russian that died?
Terry, When you say 'I have never heard of Mycoplasma in the redfoot community' do you mean that redfoots just dont get it? Are somehow immune to it?
Are there different strains? Could a test be a false positive?
What kind of precautions does the OP need to take now to keep other torts safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.