• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what if you 'loan' him a female and get the offspring.. raise them up for the genetics.. or find his offspring and buy them...
If you do the loan thing... what kind of contract would there be? what ifs? Insurance?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
From my perspective, you have more to lose than to gain from the proposal as stated. If you have any adult females that are not yet producing for whatever reason, I might allow him a segregated area with those. If he stimulates those females and sires hatchlings via them, then surrendering a portion of the clutch(es) produced would be reasonable. Otherwise, I would not introduce him to the entire herd nor would I take the suggestion of loaning out any of your females. If some accident were to occur, it would be tragic and you could not be sure of what took place. Also, you could not be sure the eggs weren't simply taken without you being told if any were produced out of your custody. From seeing, but (luckily) not experiencing, many breeding loans go awry over the years, I would be very hesitant to engage in one. To that end, I am hesitant to even host an animal on breeding loan in the event some freak accident occurs. One can compensate, but compensation is not true replacement.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Baoh said:
From my perspective, you have more to lose than to gain from the proposal as stated. If you have any adult females that are not yet producing for whatever reason, I might allow him a segregated area with those. If he stimulates those females and sires hatchlings via them, then surrendering a portion of the clutch(es) produced would be reasonable. Otherwise, I would not introduce him to the entire herd nor would I take the suggestion of loaning out any of your females. If some accident were to occur, it would be tragic and you could not be sure of what took place. Also, you could not be sure the eggs weren't simply taken without you being told if any were produced out of your custody. From seeing, but (luckily) not experiencing, many breeding loans go awry over the years, I would be very hesitant to engage in one. To that end, I am hesitant to even host an animal on breeding loan in the event some freak accident occurs. One can compensate, but compensation is not true replacement.

I agree, we have stopped all female breedeing loans at our program many years ago. Never any fertility.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This has been a very informative post. Since I started reading the forum threads I often wonder why people have "herds", and why they don't just breed with another's torts like with dogs. Now I see some of the reasons why that is not a good idea. Very different indeed. Thanks for sharing.

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
Your system is working great for you. Don't add a potential "kink" for just a short time. Addition to herd, great. Temporary addition to herd, not worth the risk.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Your herd are lovely and healthy and you dont want to kick them down with one male that could be unhealthy towards your torts and then you have to say byebye to your torts....and wreck there healthy lifestyle...DONT DO IT ALDABRAMAN DONT DOOO ITTTTTT!!!......;)

JacksonR

5 Year Member
You could just get him on loan and just give the guy several random baby tortoises. As long as he mates with a female or two it might be worth it. Just need one time, store sperm. But like someone said you'd have to put him in quarantine...

What I want to know is how you track the genetics lines in your herd.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
JacksonR said:
You could just get him on loan and just give the guy several random baby tortoises. As long as he mates with a female or two it might be worth it. Just need one time, store sperm. But like someone said you'd have to put him in quarantine...

Unless those are the terms, substituting unrelated animals instead of its offspring would be absolutely unethical. Mind you, such would be common in this industry, unfortunately.

JacksonR

5 Year Member
I still voted no...I was just putting out a possible way of doing it. Plus I said "how do you track genetic lines?"

Baoh said:
JacksonR said:

Unless those are the terms, substituting unrelated animals instead of its offspring would be absolutely unethical. Mind you, such would be common in this industry, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.