Breathing noises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
Toby has been making some noises in his tank, and I can't tell if he is wheezing. They appear to be breathing noises. It happens periodically throughout the day and he started making this noise recently. I thought tortoises were supposed to be silent for the most part, but do they make noises sometimes? I just don't know if i should bring him to the vet or not. Thoughts?

samstar

5 Year Member
My torts make noises to but more like clamping their jaws but only during eating

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you can hear Toby breathing it might be a cause for concern. Do you ever see bubbles out his nose? Do you ever notice open mouth breathing?

Yvonne

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
If you can hear Toby breathing it might be a cause for concern. Do you ever see bubbles out his nose? Do you ever notice open mouth breathing?

Yvonne

I've been checking diligently for bubbles but I haven't seen any. He hasn't been open mouth breathing, but there appears to be skin flaking off on his beak under his nose.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Shedding skin is normal but clogged nasal passage is not. How is his appetite and other behaviors?

TobesterTort

5 Year Member
He has been eating off and on. He ate the dandelions yesterday and his romaine, but today he barely ate the romaine. He is fairly active though.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
If you can't be sure that he's not sick, best to take him to the vet to be safe. It seems there are a mix of possible symptoms, but it is not clear cut. Also, new torts should be established as patients at a vet in case you have an emergency down the road, and to also get a fecal test for parasites.

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Dear Tobestertort,
I would check out our new VET list to see if there is any recommended VET near you.
Mine is slowing down a lot in the morning and by late p.m. because it's getting cooler but when she's out in sun like right now, she is still very active and has good appetite. Skin is shedding but no breathing noise. You wouldn't want your tortie suffering from Respiratory problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.