Breathing after soaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Maybe I'm paranoid.

When I was soaking Tori, she would bob her head down into the water and drink. When she brought her head up to breath, I heard a small sound: wouldn't say its cracking but more like a popping? Could it be the water clogging up her nostrils and just popping the bubbles to breath out?

Note, I didn't hear this sound before the soaking.

Or could she already have RI?

Thanks.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Tatooineboy, I have heard they use their noses to help suck up the water. So I would say it is a natural sound. I would not worry about an RI unless she has bubbles and perhaps a wheezing sound when she has not been soaked. Remember they do make sounds. Chirps, girggles, etc. But I wouldn't worry unless it is accompanied by bubbles. My Personal Opinion, Remember I'm not a Vet or an expert.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah, I've only heard it when she is soaked. Hah, didnt know they made sounds.

pealow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I soaked Zoey today and she drank for the longest time. Is this normal? I'm also paranoid as she also has not touched greens today and very inactive.

Paula

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Tori drank a lot yesterday and today. I've been using Aspen bedding and she wasn't very active either.

So, I switched it up a little bit: leavingt 25% of it aspen, then the other 75% a thorough mixture of sand/cocobrick/ potting soil (non-furtilized). She is a lot more active now. It could be either she is fully awake or she can move around better in the substrate? Not sure.

Tori didnt move a whole lot for about 2 hours. Probably still asleep/waking up mode. We all know how that is, right? lol

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Zoey might just need more time to adjust! I wouldn't worry just yet!

I, too, have one part Bed-a-brick/sand, then there is a "sandbox" and then the other part is aspen. Dasani does NOT like to walk on the aspen! She lifts her back legs up sooooooo high when she walks on it, it's hilarious! She much prefers the bed-a-brick, and this is what she bedded down in last night.

Dasani got up this morning and ate, but now she's basking/sleeping... I think she just needs to really warm up before getting a move on again! Maybe that's what Zooey needs!

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
cvalda said:
Zoey might just need more time to adjust! I wouldn't worry just yet!

I, too, have one part Bed-a-brick/sand, then there is a "sandbox" and then the other part is aspen. Dasani does NOT like to walk on the aspen! She lifts her back legs up sooooooo high when she walks on it, it's hilarious! She much prefers the bed-a-brick, and this is what she bedded down in last night.

Dasani got up this morning and ate, but now she's basking/sleeping... I think she just needs to really warm up before getting a move on again! Maybe that's what Zooey needs!

Yep, exactly. In combination with waking up in the morning, being in a strange new place, and needing to warm up in the morning, could get her off to a slow start.

I'm sure she is fine :) Just be patient.

susan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, Ca.
Hi!! I just wanted to add that, as I have said before I only have Desert tortoises, but my adult male makes tons of sounds:) He always has:) I have had him 24 years and he has always had alot to say:) He groans when he yawns and god forbid I sneek up on him when he is getting his beauty rest!! He totally hisses at me and i could swear he gives me dirty looks too;) Also their mating sounds are interesting too ahahah! I am almost embarassed to say that ehehe:) And reptile kids love to be warm:) They love the sun too;)

pealow

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Zoey was very active after arising around 8 AM. She ate, walked, rested basked, ate, went into her hide, came out .... ate and then to my surprise she climbed into a shallow water bowl and pooped! She has retired for the night. Ahhhhh, life is good.

Paula

Status
Not open for further replies.