Box turtles..

Matt87

My wife is currently pregnant with twins, we have had box turtles for a few years now, we've kept some inside before but this was before my wife was pregnant and since she's been pregnant, they have been outside, this year we are going to have a few little box turtles inside for the winter and I heard that pregnant women shouldn't be around certain animals/reptiles. I was just wondering if it's ok to bring them inside with my wife being pregnant and even after the baby is born? We always wash our hands after touching the turtles.

I will be using a Rubbermaid tote that we have for them and I have all the supplies I will need. I just want to be sure my wife and my unborn children will be ok if I bring in the turtles and I also want the turtles to be ok and to stay healthy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't know if this is an old wives tale or what, but I operate a turtle and tortoise rescue and I hear this 'excuse' so many times. In my opinion, there's absolutely no reason why you can't have turtles in the house. You wife just needs to practice good hygiene around them. They don't give off any germy air. She would have to touch them or mess with the habitat in order to contact any germs they may or may not have.

If you google it, it always comes up about salmonella. Your wife or unborn baby can't contact the salmonella (if the turtles even have it) unless she touches the turtle or it's habitat. And then if she does, all she has to do is wash her hands before she touches her face.

Matt87

Thank you. That's what I thought but I had someone keep telling me that I shouldn't keep them inside cause of my wife and unborn babies so I just wanted to know what other people heard or thought about it.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I've been keeping reptilians for 22/24 years give or take . Have three boys so that makes my wife three times with child . Never once seen a problem .

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It's cats and their litter boxes that present a potential problem with toxoplasmosis, not box turtles. Strict hygiene practices are enough. That includes hand washing and treating turtle dishes the same way you would raw chicken. Scour the sink afterwards and don't cross contaminate.

I've had my oldest box turtles for over 38 years, my oldest child just turned 33. Kids, pregnancies and indoor boxies all work out fine. I'd advise making sure the kids can't access the turtles without supervision, so keep habitats out of reach.

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I am a reptile veterinarian and just had a baby. I continued to take care of all my lizards, turtles and tortoises the entire time I was pregnant without changes. The risk of salmonella is no greater while pregnant so continue to wash hands after handling them and follow other good hygiene practices, as you should be doing anyway and your wife should be fine!

proudmom84

I was around turtles and tortoises during my pregnancies and had no problems. Congrats to you and your wife on twins!