Box Turtles In New Jersey

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
My grand daughter lives in New Jersey and was just here visiting for the past 10 days. She fell in love with my baby box turtles and has been vigorously buying and accumulating all the supplies to have one. She has the enclosure set up and I was planning to ship her a baby next week, however, I just remembered that New Jersey has some pretty strict laws regarding turtles and tortoises. This baby is a non-native (three toe), and she's getting it from out of state, so it would be legal, right? (say yes. . .say yes. . .say yes)

@HermanniChris

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
My grand daughter lives in New Jersey and was just here visiting for the past 10 days. She fell in love with my baby box turtles and has been vigorously buying and accumulating all the supplies to have one. She has the enclosure set up and I was planning to ship her a baby next week, however, I just remembered that New Jersey has some pretty strict laws regarding turtles and tortoises. This baby is a non-native (three toe), and she's getting it from out of state, so it would be legal, right? (say yes. . .say yes. . .say yes)

Tag Chris Leone he would know for sure! I don't know but I sure hope so!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good idea. I've added him to my post.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I haven't heard. Maybe he's on vacation.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
That's straight from his website. It talks about needing a permit that cost $10 a year to get but it's also talking about turtles native to NJ so I'm not sure about owning a 3 toe. It is very clear though that the turtle has to be Cb not WC.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here in NY we have to have a permit. I renew mine every year. My son had a few box turtles, and lives in NJ, and he gave them to me. He never had a permit, but there were too many wild animals there. He would have to properly house them to keep them safe. When I go there I see more in the woods than I do here, so I know there's plenty. Chris L. sent me an Eastern, but he wanted to make sure I had my permit.
This was an answer to Julie McGuire from the NJ state wild life.

As per the NJ Board of Health, no Turtle or Tortoise can be bought,
to be kept as pets, if obtained form a legal source (Bought out of state
from a permitted seller) all that is required is a bill of sale. No
turtle or tortoise can be collected from the wild at anytime for any
reason in NJ (Poaching carries fines up to $5000 dollars per animal and
we prosecute aggressively those who we catch). If you have more
questions you can contact my office 908-735-5450.
-Steve McCaughey

ratbones7

5 Year Member
im in NJ. now im speaking stricly about easterns (native) which is all i have....not quite sure if 3 toeds are the same...you can have box turtles as pets as long as you get them from a legal source....which is the tricky part...you can be gifted or trade for one by a nj permit holder but you need to get copy of their permit to in turn get yours. you need to prove you did not take from wild on permit application. i was gifted my first two. you can also buy from another state where it's legal to sell to NJ. these are few and far between now from my research. i bought 2 (audlt male and female) online from CA which was a state you could. need receipt to send in with permit application. i now have a bunch because mine had babies. i have to note that and add them to permit each year.

im in south jersey. if you find you cant get her a three toed... im expecting a hatch in sept and id be glad to gift her an eastern.

ratbones7

5 Year Member
Thank you. That's a generous offer. I'm planning to send her a yearling 3toe next Tues. I'll include a bill of sale for her records.
haha. overlooked that you are in CA. i think you should be fine. as it is legit, tell her to get the nj hobby permit. good luck!

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, Ashley (my grand daughter) has had Humphrey for about a week now. He ate like gang busters the first day in New Jersey, but ever since then he's just been hiding. This is the same story we hear over and over again. Wish I knew why they do that. I've gone over her care, lighting and temperatures with her almost daily, but still no eating. Here's Humphrey in his morning bath this a.m.:

humphrey.JPG

He looks fine. I just wish he'd eat.

Alaskamike

South Florida
So cute.

I had baby Boxies once - I gave them mushed up nigh crawlers , kinda a messy job, but they are 'em like candy.

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
I am always amazed how irresistible and cute these creatures are.❤️ You are very knowledgeable about chelonian care. Your granddaughter is fortunate to have you as her guide.
And that is a very good photo!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am always amazed how irresistible and cute these creatures are.❤️ You are very knowledgeable about chelonian care. Your granddaughter is fortunate to have you as her guide.
And that is a very good photo!

Thank you. I'll pass along your compliment to her.

I think we've got the no eating thing figured out. I asked her to double check the temperature down at substrate level and turns out it was way too hot. No wonder poor Humphrey just wanted to stay buried!

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Well, Ashley (my grand daughter) has had Humphrey for about a week now. He ate like gang busters the first day in New Jersey, but ever since then he's just been hiding. This is the same story we hear over and over again. Wish I knew why they do that. I've gone over her care, lighting and temperatures with her almost daily, but still no eating. Here's Humphrey in his morning bath this a.m.:

View attachment 213021

What a beautiful gift Yvonne! I bet your granddaughter was happy as a lark!!! I am sure the new home adjustment is setting in... so excited for the both of you!

Purplechic

View attachment 213021

Adorable :) Good Luck :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is a cutie. Glad it got figured out. It's hard to not assume the temps are being read at the right level when we first ask what they are. Hope all stays good now.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
@Yvonne G.....Any updates on how your precious gift and the granddaughter are doing? Is he eating better now?