(box turtles-Hibernation?) revised-now "Where's Waldo?"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I saw two of mine this a.m. - a female eastern in one pen and a male Florida in another.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I saw two of mine this a.m. - a female eastern in one pen and a male Florida in another.
Lucky! I'm not sure what to do about mine, we've been going up and down this winter. Days in the 70's and then days in the 40's. Today and tomorrow are 40's and Saturday we are mid 80's. I'm really not sure if I should dig them up and move them to my garage.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
I'm going to check Saturday to see if any have come up, if not I will leave them be. I just hate this weather this winter.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Yesterday was a high of 65, today was 31 and about 2 inches of snow! Weather has been crazy this year! I'm still banking on not seeing my box turtles until April but if I lived in California I'd be a bit excited to see a few too:)

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
It was 60 today, but tonight thru tomorrow is freezing temps and snow. idk what mother nature is smoking..

Turtlesfromcolo

Colorado
Here in Colo we are hitting 70 degrees today & tomorrow. We are Still having cold nights under 30. I'm sure the cold & snow will be right back lol. No sign of my ornates out back. They are staying buried.

1486670406306.jpg

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I'm visiting in N VA. Yesterday it was so warm i had my boxie Felter out on the ground catching some rays for a while. This was after i took a bare-chested, sweaty hike in the woods.
Then today it was freezing cold and blustery, and we got snow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, this is the craziest weather I can ever remember. The last time California had the el Nino weather pattern was maybe 10 years or so ago, and yes, we got a lot of rain, but it wasn't nearly as warm then as it is this winter. I think we only have had about a week of frosty nights. I have about 5 pairs of thermal underwear and I haven't worn any of them once this winter. Very unusual.

M

Maggie Cummings

We had snow and ice this morning, then about noon it stopped raining and went up to 50....wow. I'm ready to move to the SouthWest......

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't see why anyone would want to live where it rains and snows all the time . Be it a cool beautiful place to visit . But not to live . Warm Texas is the place for me .

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
We had snow and ice this morning, then about noon it stopped raining and went up to 50....wow. I'm ready to move to the SouthWest......
Snow and ice? TODAY? Maybe yesterday, but today? Nah. It was better than 45° from Eugene to Portland from 6:00pm until now, 24 hours later. Lots of rain, yes, and yesterday we woke up to 1" of snow, but I'm a good 800' higher than the flatlands of Corvallis. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1486705115.929146.jpg just saying…

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I'm visiting in N VA. Yesterday it was so warm i had my boxie Felter out on the ground catching some rays for a while. This was after i took a bare-chested, sweaty hike in the woods.
Then today it was freezing cold and blustery, and we got snow.
The weather around DC has been really eratic this year. We have had some cold days but then, like you said, it flips to 60s and 70s F. Most days it seems the high temps have been in the mid 50s F when they should be in the low 40s F and Im concerned for the wild box turtle population. The average temps may not be cold enough for them to successfully hibernate.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The weather around DC has been really eratic this year. We have had some cold days but then, like you said, it flips to 60s and 70s F. Most days it seems the high temps have been in the mid 50s F when they should be in the low 40s F and Im concerned for the wild box turtle population. The average temps may not be cold enough for them to successfully hibernate.
49 yesterday here, Today 74 tomorrow a record 85. Then we go back to the 40's and 50's. I can't remember a winter this sporadic