Box turtles haven't woken up yet

bmt123

5 Year Member
I have two eastern box turtles that have been hibernating all winter. It has been in the seventies for five days now an they haven't come up yet. Should I be worried.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Do you know where they are? If not, try watering the area they are in real good. The "rain" will make them come around. If it makes you feel better, I have 11 box turtles and 1 Russian Tortoise still under in Texas and we have been in the 80's the past two days. I think they somehow know when it is finally over and when there may be more bad weather, lol. Remember as well that the nights are still a bit brisk so they could be coming out while you are away and going back under to stay warm during the night.

bmt123

5 Year Member
I'm not sure where they are. We just got lots of rain and I didn't see them come out.

Is that a bad sign.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
How well does the area drain? It is not necesarily a bad sign. Like I said, none of my boxies and only 3 of my 4 russians have emerged and we have had great weather the past few days. It is still getting pretty cold at night so they will stay under. Remember to that we had a much colder winter this year. Put some food out early morning and see if they come up and eat it. I wouldn't worry just yet. it is still early. My adults usually don't pop up until mid to late March so I don't really look for them for another week or so.

bmt123

5 Year Member
The ground here is all clay so the area had some puddling in the low spots. If I where to look for them how far down would they be.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Mine are all still hibernating and they usually come up around the end of March. But I won't go looking for them until it gets much warmer here. I'm sure they know when it's time to come up. No matter how warm it is outside the ground, especially deep down, takes much longer to warm up.

bmt123

5 Year Member
I just checked the weather and we might be getting snow next week so it's probably good there not up yet.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I just checked my notes, and all mine were up on March 30th. I don't think that's going to happen this year. It's in the 20's today and we are expecting snow too. Will it ever end??

bmt123

5 Year Member
I know I can't stand this weather. What's your opinion on the poor drainage.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I know how you feel ! ImageUploadedByTortForum1394735572.846520.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortForum1394735497.101627.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1394735497.101627.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 62
  • ImageUploadedByTortForum1394735542.337107.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortForum1394735542.337107.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
As far as the drainage goes.....I have some friends whose turtles have the run of the yard, although it's not that big, with all the snow and rain we had their ground is really wet and they never had a problem. The turtles just seem to know where to dig under. I have a cave where they hibernate. It's at the end of the garden and is raised a bit. Also my turtle garden was formally a big planter, and then a big turtle and koi pond. I had to put weep holes along the wall for drainage or the whole thing would have filled with water again. Another thing. The soil here is very poor and looks like red clay too. Through the years I've cultivated it and now it's nothing like that. In the turtle garden where they hibernate I loosen the soil to about two or more feet and add peat moss (looks like coco coir). Then I add a lot of leaf litter and then pine hay. As the years go buy that section is really soft black soil because of the leaf litter. If you know where they will hibernate, you might want to cultibate the soil a little, and also try to raise the section that they hibernate in, if you can.

Twiggz

5 Year Member
N. Ca
Its been nice weather in my area for over a month now, and I've only seen one of my boxies. He came out for a few minutes, refused to eat and went back into his hole. The other Boxie switched holes and that's about it. Hopefully they wake up soon and have an appetite.

theresal

5 Year Member
Terrytown,LA
I live in New Orleans and only 2 of mine have come out of hibernation so far. Those 2 have gone back under now that it keeps being cool. I don't think you should worry. We have had an unusually cold winter and they are smart to stay under. It was so warm the other day that we had sleeveless shirts and shorts on while doing yard work and still only 2 were out.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
This is typical for us to worry about but your turtles will be fine. Give it a few more weeks. Don't dig them out. They need to emerge naturally

Ferretinmyshoes

5 Year Member
Colorado
Mine haven't come up yet either and it's been pretty warm during the days. I suspect I'll start seeing them in the next few weeks because that's about when they normally come up.

TickTurt

5 Year Member
I have 19 boxies. Last year they came out March 17th. Historically, mine don't come out until nighttime temperature stay 55-60 degrees.

bmt123

5 Year Member
Well I went outside today to find both of my turtles survived brumation and appear healthy.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Nothing up here yet. It's in the 50's during the day now but goes down to the 30's at night. I hate this time of year until they are all up. I get so nervous just waiting to see if everyone's all right. The little one's in the house are all eating every day now and are more active.

bmt123

5 Year Member
We have had three days in the 80s so I was expecting them soon. Now that there up what should I do they seem light which I assume is to be expected.