Box Turtle Injury

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This is a male box turtle that hatched here several years ago. I found it as a hatchling while raking leaves. It had a small shell injury above it's head that made it easy to identify as it grew over the years.I started getting them ready for winter a couple weeks ago and found a pretty severe injury that had healed nicely without my help. Here are a couple pics,box.jpg best box.jpgIn the first pic it's hard to see but you may be able to make out the old injury above his head. The second pic is the best I could get to show the new injury, the complete leg is gone and his penis is partially exposed. There in not a scratch anywhere on the shell. After looking at everything, It had to have been done by a common snapping turtle. This is the first time that one of my snappers has injured one of the other turtles. I can't see any other way an injury like this could happen under the conditions they live.

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
I have 3 toed box turtle and she has bite marks on her shell. Just goes to show that there little tanks and hope you figure it out

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
That looks bad, Yikes!! I have one that got hit by a lawnmower that you could see down in her shell. They can heal pretty quick so hoping for the best for this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just goes to show how resilient they are. I've taken in lots of turtles and tortoises with horrific scars that made me wonder how this animal is still alive. And to think, your turtle got by without antibiotics or special care.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Just goes to show how resilient they are. I've taken in lots of turtles and tortoises with horrific scars that made me wonder how this animal is still alive. And to think, your turtle got by without antibiotics or special care.
It"s probably a good thing I didn't see the damage right after it happened, I may have done more damage to him trying to help him.He has spent every winter outside since he hatched, but I think those days may be over. I just have to decide whether to cool him down or keep him awake.Everything here is still a little active. No real fall weather yet, we've only had one night below 50 so far. air conditioner still running. Supposed to start cooling down this weekend.