Box turtle ID

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
a friend of mine recently got this box turtle from a bad situation we are unsure of what kind of turtle it is so since he doesn't have internet i decided to post the pics he sent me and see if anyone can help Thanks in advance!

the beak is pretty over grown he was going to take "her" to the vet and have the vet show him how to trim the beak

11081526_912685405448236_1555056597_n.jpg 11092676_912683362115107_1307534295_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi David:

It's a three toed box turtle. Looks female, but a look at the tail will tell me for sure.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Hi David:

It's a three toed box turtle. Looks female, but a look at the tail will tell me for sure.

Thank's Yvonne it is a female, according to the person my friend got her from she's over 20 years old
Glad you got her!

yeah my friend is excited about having her. im going to help him at anything he needs help with tho information wise

Dean Wirth

Alberta
It looks like its beak is overgrown, a cuttlebone in its cage helps keep my 3 toeds beaks trimmed, Box turtle love strawberries, blackberries, peas and for meat superworms, earthworms and crickets (you might have to crush them or remove their legs. Have a shallow pool ready as they love to soak, they don't like hot temperatures, should have a heat lamp but cool is the rule for these charismatic turtles. they love to bury themselves in dirt, and that about sums it up. 3 toeds are among my favorite turtles. They are like mini Galapagos Tortoises.
You can get the beak trimmed at a vet, but not necessary if you give it hard food. The shell looks good though.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
It looks like its beak is overgrown, a cuttlebone in its cage helps keep my 3 toeds beaks trimmed, Box turtle love strawberries, blackberries, peas and for meat superworms, earthworms and crickets (you might have to crush them or remove their legs. Have a shallow pool ready as they love to soak, they don't like hot temperatures, should have a heat lamp but cool is the rule for these charismatic turtles. they love to bury themselves in dirt, and that about sums it up. 3 toeds are among my favorite turtles. They are like mini Galapagos Tortoises.
You can get the beak trimmed at a vet, but not necessary if you give it hard food. The shell looks good though.

yeah he's getting her all taken care of he wants a clean bill of health and to have a vet show him how to trim it