Box turtle cage?

turtleowner4

My box turtle is still tiny, I'm not sure what age but I would say probably a year or two. Would a 20 or 35 gallon tote work for him during the winter or do you think it needs to be bigger?

Last edited:

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Bigger is always better. I think the general rule is 4x8. Maybe a 50 gallon tote would work?

— Gus

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Be careful you don't get anything too big because it will be hard to find him once he digs under the substrate. I have a little Gulf Coast who's almost two and I keep him in a 40 gal breeder. I have a 60 wt. CHE and a 5.0 long tube UVB on top. Some plants to hide under and a large water dish. Even though he's inside for the Winter, he has slowed down a lot and sometimes doesn't come up to eat for two or three days.

turtleowner4

What kind of plants are okay to put in his cage?
I have leaves in there but thought I'd try a plant or two but idk what's good for the and what's not. Right now, he's inside for the winter but will be outside in the summer.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Whatever you plant will be destroyed from the burrowing and bulldozing, so don't plant anything you're too attached to. I toss in grass seeds, and let the seeds from everything they eat germinate.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Do you mean outside enclosure. Inside it's hard because they will destroy most plants. Outside, if it's big enough most plants will thrive. I never had a problem with the outside plants. This is outside in the Summer.009_zpsb4cb3542.jpg

turtleowner4

Are fiddle sticks ok for turtles? Something they can climb or hide under?
What else could I put in there for the turtle? More of a natural look or just to make it more comfortable?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
@terryo what is the yellowplant in your picture called. I have it in my landscaping and wondered if it was safe.