Bowsers Rescue Update!

SamAnn

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Maryland
Bowser seems to be getting stronger everyday! I did realize his home was a little chilly for him but that was a quick fix. He doesn't like to eat his greens with calcium, that's becoming a problem. Any suggestions for hiding powder supplements within good foods? He is really really enjoying his walks. We use an old hammock to sling him along wherever he wants. He is starting to attempt lifting himself up even when not in the sling! Hopefully his wheel chair will be ready soon, but in the meantime this seems to work ok. He is walking farther and faster and he seems to be figuring out his leg coordination better. Before, he was so use to just laying on the ground and scooting that he would lift all legs up and push with both fronts. His rear left has broken and fused at the knee, so there isn't much hope for that leg. There may be an issue with constipation as well. I just need to get his eating better managed. Any tips to get him eating better would be much appreciated!

Here's my introduction where I tell about the rescue:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-rescue-mom-here.129191/

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Bowser seems to be getting stronger everyday! I did realize his home was a little chilly for him but that was a quick fix. He doesn't like to eat his greens with calcium, that's becoming a problem. Any suggestions for hiding powder supplements within good foods? He is really really enjoying his walks. We use an old hammock to sling him along wherever he wants. He is starting to attempt lifting himself up even when not in the sling! Hopefully his wheel chair will be ready soon, but in the meantime this seems to work ok. He is walking farther and faster and he seems to be figuring out his leg coordination better. Before, he was so use to just laying on the ground and scooting that he would lift all legs up and push with both fronts. His rear left has broken and fused at the knee, so there isn't much hope for that leg. There may be an issue with constipation as well. I just need to get his eating better managed. Any tips to get him eating better would be much appreciated!
What is his favourite food?
if its something juicy maybe squeeze some over the food you want him to eat.
I've squeezed tomato juice over greens and that worked ok.
He is so lucky to have you!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Good job with this guy. I am so glad you saved him, and he is doing well. I have had good luck putting calcium in Mazuri. I chop my tortoises food really small when I want to introduce new food. Start with just a little of what you want him to eat and a lot of what he wants to eat. Slowly increase the amount of the new stuff. Mine forget they don't like it.

Prairie Mom

I'm glad that Bowser is enjoying exploring and showing a great interest in his new life! Hooray!

I like all the suggestions that have been given so far.Calcium sprinkled on soaked Mazuri (not Mazuri LS-- get the regular kind) was my first thought too. Also, some tortoises like to snack on cuttlebones. I would always have one available. Pumpkin is loved by tortoises as well. Maybe try sprinkling some on pumpkin. Anything to get Calcium & D3 into that handsome fellow!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I give all my tortoises Miner-All supplement by Sticky Tongue Farms. It comes with and without D3 (indoor and outdoor formula). It has calcium and other minerals in it. It has a nice berry smell to it and I do not have any problem whatsoever getting any of my tortoises to eat food that it is on. I was having a problem with my desert tortoises eating dirt and I tried it and it solved the problem. I get mine from petmountain.com; be sure your are ordering the one without D3 if your tortoise gets outside time. I also have a cuttle bone in the tortoise enclosures in case they feel the need for more calcium.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mixing with Mazuri is a great idea! I also use REPASHY. It is not white. It is brown and my tortoises don't seem to mind that it's even there at all.
I had a very sick tortoise that also couldn't walk and I found that if I placed her in the grass and the grass was wet a little that she could scoot along and pull herself around with just her front legs. (Drag herself)
Eventually she became strong enough to lift up her body and walk on her own. Still shaky, but walking.
I wish you luck.

SamAnn

Southern Maryland
I love these ideas! he LOVES pumpkin (its the perfect season here in Maryland!) so a mashed some greens up with some calcium powder and made him a "pumpkin ball" he did love it but I worry that im giving him too much pumpkin? Especially since he will only eat it if he cant taste or see greens. Im definitely going to try the tomato juice! He also likes orange peppers so I tossed his salad with shredded pepper and he still didn't eat it. With the Mazuri, I hae read so many things about not feeding a pelleted diet, the only Mazuri I can find is pelleted... is this ok? Of course I would still offer it with greens but I'm try to get him away from eating pellets because that was his sloe diet before his rescue. He has a cuttle bone! I was excited to try it will him but he doesn't show much interest. I have scratched off some of it into his food too.
I was trying to post a video of his daily walks, but I cant seem to figure out how haha. Maybe you will get to see him soon if I can.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I love these ideas! he LOVES pumpkin (its the perfect season here in Maryland!) so a mashed some greens up with some calcium powder and made him a "pumpkin ball" he did love it but I worry that im giving him too much pumpkin? Especially since he will only eat it if he cant taste or see greens. Im definitely going to try the tomato juice! He also likes orange peppers so I tossed his salad with shredded pepper and he still didn't eat it. With the Mazuri, I hae read so many things about not feeding a pelleted diet, the only Mazuri I can find is pelleted... is this ok? Of course I would still offer it with greens but I'm try to get him away from eating pellets because that was his sloe diet before his rescue. He has a cuttle bone! I was excited to try it will him but he doesn't show much interest. I have scratched off some of it into his food too.
I was trying to post a video of his daily walks, but I cant seem to figure out how haha. Maybe you will get to see him soon if I can.
The Mazuri is pelleted. It gets soft in water.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're doing a great job with the tortoise.

The trick with calcium powder is to not use too much. If they can smell or see it they won't eat it. So, just a tiny pinch between thumb and index finger.

Don't try to change his diet to quickly. Buy the same old pellets that he's used to eating. Then chop up some of the good greens into very tiny, tiny pieces and mix it all together with the pellets. You might start by withholding all food for a couple of days so he's good and hungry. Over time, and take a long time, decrease the amount of pellets and increase the amount of greens.

SamAnn

Southern Maryland

The trick with calcium powder is to not use too much. If they can smell or see it they won't eat it. So, just a tiny pinch between thumb and index finger.

Don't try to change his diet to quickly. Buy the same old pellets that he's used to eating. Then chop up some of the good greens into very tiny, tiny pieces and mix it all together with the pellets. You might start by withholding all food for a couple of days so he's good and hungry. Over time, and take a long time, decrease the amount of pellets and increase the amount of greens.

I think I'm using too much powder! I guess in my mind more is better... not in this case haha! I have a red foot that will eat through anything so I'm not use to this. We did wean him off of pellets slowly, I have horses so that is second nature to me. Maybe if I pick up some Mazuri pellets and soak them he will be more enthusiastic about eating.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Sounds like you are doing a great job with Bowser, he is lucky to have you! I have good luck with the miner-all also. I use the outdoor in the warm months when my torts get outside then in the winter I use the indoor, but more sparingly.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA

As a side note, thank you for this post, @Yvonne G ! Mine was avoiding her food like the plague today and I had sprinkled it with calcium. I read that, got up, turned it over so the calcium was on the bottom and hiding, and she dove right in. Wanted to post that just as a maybe fast and easy fix, but Bowser might be on to these tricks LOL.

I have been following this thread and I wanted to say you are doing an amazing thing. He looks SO HAPPY in the outside pictures. What a sweet baby. Please, if you get to a point where his medical care is a strain, set up a Go Fund Me for him--I know, personally, I would gladly donate to help keep him smiling in the sun :)

Best of luck, Bowser and family!!! :<3:

SamAnn

Southern Maryland
Awwwww Nephelle, your so sweet. Thank you :) Right now I think my vet is just very uneducated on this type of tortoise. It makes me sad and wonder why I'm spending money for an exam while arguing that 80 isn't hot enough for the warm side and that giving him worms and coleslaw mix is going to solve everything. Iv checked out the list of vets in Maryland and all of these are literally hours away. Iv called one over on the eastern shore and got some good advise. She thinks passive care, keeping things the way im doing them, and the right environment will do well unless there is a dramatic change for the worse.
Thank you all for all the love! Me and Bowser appreciate it! Ill keep trying to get that video up!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Good fortunes with your Bowser :)
I'm a sucker for rehab / rescues myself.

The vet issue is a real concern. Personally when I have to correct my vet on appropriate care practices they cease being my vet for that species. And it's happened more than once.

I have a very small - but not young - redfoot who is struggling to walk on back legs and drags herself. Nature can be cruel , but humans even more so. I use mazuri mixed in with a good variety of healthy food chopped up all together and she eats it. Though she has severe MBD , I don't add calcium to this mix, since the Mazuri is calcium fortified.

Even too much calcium can cause problems.

I got a kiddie pool and fill it with 85-90f water. She swims in there 1-2x/ day for 20-30minutes at a time. This exersize seems to strengthen her legs and now that she's used to it doesn't seem to stress her. As I'm sure you know - it took years for the damage and can take a long time for recovery.

Sometimes it breaks my heart to see her struggle just to get herself through grass but I let her struggle. When I first got her she didn't even move. So there is improvement

On the video. If you open the site Vimeo you can establish a free download account. Load the video there. Once it's loaded copy the videos URL. Then make a post here , hit the little icon in the task bar that looks like a film strip. It will open a thing that asks for the URL. Paste it in there and your vid will load here.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
Is it possible/okay to dissolve calcium powder in water, and then dunk food into that before feeding?

Asking (for myself, too!), not suggesting!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Is it possible/okay to dissolve calcium powder in water, and then dunk food into that before feeding?

Asking (for myself, too!), not suggesting!
There are several types of bird calcium supplements that are made to dissolve in water. I'm not sure if reptile calcium would dissolve? I'll be curious to know the answer to this.