Both my tortoises are ill.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

yillt

Today it was really cold so I brought Billy and Molly in and put them in their inside enclosures. They are in separate cages. I have seen them both open their mouths as if they are yawning and they keep doing this but they have NO reason to be tired. Loads of people say this is caused by a respiratory problem. Billy keeps lifting his back legs up as if he's flying. I haven't seen any bubbles out of their noses and they are both eating. My mum is no keen on taking them to the vets so that Is my last resort. What is wrongs with them and what should I do?

yillt

Also how much do you think it would cost to take 2 tortoises to the vet for this.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Don't panic!

They are eating which is an excellent sign. When torts are sick they stop eating.

Keep an eye on them and if you see signs of a runny nose or they stop eating then take them to the vet. I agree with your Mum, it is too soon at the moment.

Check the temperatures and make sure they can bask properly.

yillt

Don't panic!

They are eating which is an excellent sign. When torts are sick they stop eating.

Keep an eye on them and if you see signs of a runny nose or they stop eating then take them to the vet. I agree with your Mum, it is too soon at the moment.

Check the temperatures and make sure they can bask properly.
Ok. They have been in the cold for two nights so I was worried that that may have contributed to them being ill.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe has been outside every night for a few weeks and he is fine. Make sure that you know exactly how much they weigh (Mum's kitchen scales!) and weigh them both once a week to make sure that they neither is losing weight. Don't panic about small losses. You lose and gain weight throughout the day and so do torts.

I am fairly sure they will both be fine. Just keep an eye on them :)

yillt

Ok. Billy has some white stuff round his mouth. I don't know if this is powder or something else. Also should I put them back outside or keep them in here.

yillt

Joe has been outside every night for a few weeks and he is fine. Make sure that you know exactly how much they weigh (Mum's kitchen scales!) and weigh them both once a week to make sure that they neither is losing weight. Don't panic about small losses. You lose and gain weight throughout the day and so do torts.

I am fairly sure they will both be fine. Just keep an eye on them :)
Molly is going crazy inside and she keeps falling on her back so I had to turn the light off. Se has never been Inside before apart from hibernation and her owner said she is used to being outside.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Molly is going crazy inside and she keeps falling on her back so I had to turn the light off. Se has never been Inside before apart from hibernation and her owner said she is used to being outside.
To be honest, I would let her out. Joe is exactly the same indoors. Having her in with the lights off is stressful for her and probably worse than being outdoors.

On very cold nights, if I have to bring Joe in, I do it at my bedtime once our central heating has gone off for the night. That way he isn't marching round crashing into things when I am trying to sleep. Perhaps your Mum could do the same? You can then put Molly out when you get up first thing in the morning.

The weather at night really is warm enough to leave her out at night. You just need to make sure she is sleeping somewhere dry. I let Joe choose where he is going to sleep for the night and then move him once he has cooled down if I disagree with him. If he is still warm, he will simply move back!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where are you?

What are all the temperatures involved, indoors and out?

What species are we talking about?

Can you not put them out on warm days and bring them in on cold nights?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Where are you?

What are all the temperatures involved, indoors and out?

What species are we talking about?

Can you not put them out on warm days and bring them in on cold nights?
She lives not for from me @Tom... that's how I know it's warm enough for her Greek tort to be out :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would watch them for the moment, still eating so good sign. Keep warm at night for now, by all means if it is warm take them out during the day. If discharge from nose start then it is vet time.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Clicking noises could just be the jaw ( more than likely)

yillt

Clicking noises could just be the jaw ( more than likely)
Ok. We were going to book an appointment in the vet but I will wait to see if he gets better or worse. Thanks for all the help. I have heard him clicking before so hopefully he'll be fine. :);). I just worry about everything to do with him because he can't tell me if he feels ill or if he's fine. I wish he could.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Yillt is he still eating and behaving normally? It is a lovely sunny day today, so make sure they get some sun.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Clicking is not a sign of illness...especially if the tort is business as usual in every other way....