BOLIVIAN Redfoot - rare Giants

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sweet Home Chicago
They're beautiful. How do you know they are 'giants' as they are still hatchlings?

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Mine are really enjoying hibiscus flowers. They'll eat all the petals before eating the rest of the food I put out for them. Thanks @Redfoot NERD.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
As far as how 'rare' these "Giants" are - try finding any..especially yearlings or older.
Although some claim there were several imported ---- where did they all go??? Yeah there may be a "handful" of keepers/breeders.. and some of the old-timers claim they know of a few [ if not several ] that do keep them - but there are few to be found.

Granted the 4 hatchlings shown are exceptional... and there are characteristics that set these apart -- mainly the tight/full head patterns and the 'blotches' on the carapace that stays well into large adults.. like this great-great-great grand mother/aunt of these hatchlings! She reportedly is in the 18" range. She just may be one of the original's from 1982 -

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Terry are these real recent or the same you have shown elsewhere? They are really unique looking and I would like to sort out what those diagnostics are that help you see the differences and where/how someone can acquire them. Thanks.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Terry are these real recent or the same you have shown elsewhere? They are really unique looking and I would like to sort out what those diagnostics are that help you see the differences and where/how someone can acquire them. Thanks.

Will I was able to - after 18 months of relentless searching - finally able to deal with the breeder directly... that was there in Miami when they came in... that was in 1982 . Reportedly the only importation (?) !

Other than the consistent / common 'tight' head-pattern and 'blotches' on the carapace.. as stated prior .. mainly the "peach" colors - seldom 'red' - no wasp-waist on males and virtually dark plastron on the "main-land" locale. [ Some claim they have individuals with marbling on plastron - I have to believe those are from the extreme Northern region of Bolivia where Brazil touches - see what that could create!? ]
And of course the typical 18+" scl of mature adults!

The 4 shown here are from a few I was able to acquire from the aforementioned breeder - they are my "keepers" obviously.

My 2008 hatched female - typical 'peach' colors and dark plastron - current 9" scl. I did not start her.. acquired her summer 2015.

As far as where you may acquire this locale Will ? There may be a few hatchlings available around the first of the year. I don't know how this forum does "private messages" so just email me -- [email protected]

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Hopefully I'll have some hatchlings... In about 10 years! I just got 3 bolivian hatchlings. I really do love keeping red foot tortoises, this is the first time I've had any.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sure look nice Terry. What do the plastrons of those 4 babies look like?
Do you have any photos of any mature male Bolivians?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Stunning, not only the coloring of the head and areola. That head pattern looks cool.
So you've never seen a Bolivian with a waist band Terry?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
The 'waist' is one of the main things to look for in a Bolivian. Any Bolivian less than 12" scl is considered YOUNG - just beginning to reach maturity.

Still wondering about his plastron -

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I've finally taken a few pictures of my Bolivian red foots. The pictures don't do it justice, they are more peach colored and more colorful.
IMG_20170825_093718247.jpg IMG_20170825_093700690.jpg IMG_20170825_093647847.jpg IMG_20170825_093635827.jpg IMG_20170825_093614076.jpg IMG_20170825_093604602.jpg

Rt1jen

One of my favorite torts for sure! Love the beautiful pics!

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
@Anyfoot

Keep in mind these may be a little 'washed-out' from the flash - I use an actual camera.. lol - you asked for plastron shots.

Statement from breeder -
Spoke with the breeder of these hatchlings and asked him why the plastron colors varied so much -
this is his reply...

As babies they vary considerably.
They grow into the black as they get bigger.
Usually in the 4-6" range it starts to come in fast !
By the time they hit 8-9" it's very complete

@Will - are you learning anything from any of this ?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I don't know head scale nomenclature. I see a great deal of variability in it though. The carapace scute coloration seems to be the most consistent trait. The mild orange colored head on one of them is a really nice color. I have more watching to do.