Boiled Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hey everyone :)
I was wondering if i could feed my Russian tortoise hard boiled eggs? We used to give them to our Sulcatas but i don't know about Russians. Can you help me out? thanks !

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
They'll eat it but its not good for them or your sulcatas. Like what was said, protein is not good for them.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Arizona Sulcata said:
They'll eat it but its not good for them or your sulcatas. Like what was said, protein is not good for them.

Thanks for the info :)
good 2 know!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Saying that protein is not good for sulcatas is not true! Saying that sulcatas shouldn't eat alfalfa because it's high in protein is not true. Saying that devouring carnivore feces is not good for them is not true (sometimes). Saying that Mazuri and Marion is not good for sulcatas is not true. Higher protein diets will make them grow even faster than they already do...and as long as they're hydrated, it's not a problem.

Proof? I work grave. By the time I get home, my wife has put everyone out! And Climber always follows the dog...hoping for...you know! And he does find it! Climber is 2 1/2 years old now...12 inches 11.5 pounds...no pyramiding...and powerful. There's a running joke around here that Climber will catch Aladar (10 this coming August) in a year or so! Stay tuned!

BTW, Aladar is 22 inches and 55 pounds.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
DeanS said:
Saying that protein is not good for sulcatas is not true! Saying that sulcatas shouldn't eat alfalfa because it's high in protein is not true. Saying that devouring carnivore feces is not good for them is not true (sometimes). Saying that Mazuri and Marion is not good for sulcatas is not true. Higher protein diets will make them grow even faster than they already do...and as long as they're hydrated, it's not a problem.

Proof? I work grave. By the time I get home, my wife has put everyone out! And Climber always follows the dog...hoping for...you know! And he does find it! Climber is 2 1/2 years old now...12 inches 11.5 pounds...no pyramiding...and powerful. There's a running joke around here that Climber will catch Aladar (10 this coming August) in a year or so! Stay tuned!

BTW, Aladar is 22 inches and 55 pounds.

hahah xD
I didnt even know that torts eat dog poop... lol !
i'll only feed him egg once a month, i just wanted to know if it was bad for their system. thanks a lot for your answer!!!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
My daughter's Ornate Box Turtle love hard-boiled eggs, which is fine and we feed them these often, as OBTs are omnivores.

My Hermann's torts love them, too, but they only get hard-boiled eggs about once a month, as Hermann's torts are primarily vegetarians

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I like to think of it this way, a tortoise in the wild comes upon the nest of some ground laying bird. Inside the nest is an egg. Will this tortoise pass up the chance to try this new food, food which it may realize carries minerals and other things it may need or be lacking? No, it will eat the egg. Nature made these creatures to eat whatever they come upon in order to survive, which look how long they have been doing just that. Eggs have more then protein in them, heck the shell is a wonderful source of calcium. Variety works.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
I feed my Red Foot egg white twice a month.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Jacqui said:
I like to think of it this way, a tortoise in the wild comes upon the nest of some ground laying bird. Inside the nest is an egg. Will this tortoise pass up the chance to try this new food, food which it may realize carries minerals and other things it may need or be lacking? No, it will eat the egg. Nature made these creatures to eat whatever they come upon in order to survive, which look how long they have been doing just that. Eggs have more then protein in them, heck the shell is a wonderful source of calcium. Variety works.

I can even feed him the shell?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
All animals need protein, but most of the time it can be either plant-based or animal based. Our typical grocery-store diets are a bit low in proteins, so an OCCASSIONAL boost with an egg, worms, bugs, etc. should not be an issue.

Beyond that, it depends on the species (red-footeds, for example, generally eat more meat in the wild than most other grassland species) and the diet you are offering (prepared chows are usually OK in proteins, as are many kinds of hay and 'wild' plants.)

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Well put Mark and Jacqui ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Jacqui said:
But would the egg in the wild be hard boiled?

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
dmmj said:
Jacqui said:
But would the egg in the wild be hard boiled?

of course!! lol.
here

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Ehhh sounds fishy to me... There are no ground laying birds that I am aware of in their natural environment however I could be wrong. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying some animal protein will kill them because it won't, I'm saying I prefer to do without it. My torts live on 2 acres where I have 40+ chickens laying eggs where the torts have access to them everyday. Not once has one of my torts eaten one of their eggs. But I could see how the shell would be benificial to their health, that's where all the good stuff is! For torts...

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Arizona Sulcata said:
Ehhh sounds fishy to me... There are no ground laying birds that I am aware of in their natural environment however I could be wrong. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying some animal protein will kill them because it won't, I'm saying I prefer to do without it. My torts live on 2 acres where I have 40+ chickens laying eggs where the torts have access to them everyday. Not once has one of my torts eaten one of their eggs. But I could see how the shell would be benificial to their health, that's where all the good stuff is! For torts...

Good to know :)
Imagine eating egg shells though. gross..
but torts probably love it!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
(Chicken) eggs are not really a good choice of foods for tortoises. While they do contain a notable amount of vitamin A and E they also contain a considerable amount of saturated fat and protein. The protein in eggs is animal protein, not preferred source of protein from plants. Eggs also have a terrible calcium to phosphorous ratio of around 1:3, Ca:p.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
GBtortoises said:
(Chicken) eggs are not really a good choice of foods for tortoises. While they do contain a notable amount of vitamin A and E they also contain a considerable amount of saturated fat and protein. The protein in eggs is animal protein, not preferred source of protein from plants. Eggs also have a terrible calcium to phosphorous ratio of around 1:3, Ca:p.

Agreed! Just to be clear though I said mine don't eat the chicken eggs. Had to throw that out there. Haha

DanaLachney

5 Year Member
Arizona Sulcata said:

Well what kinds of eggs can they have?

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
DanaLachney said:
Well what kinds of eggs can they have?

Personally I don't recommend them having ANY form of egg! They can lay tortoise eggs though! ;) Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.