Bioactive substrate drainage layer

DrKylePile

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello.
Years ago I made a very successful bioactive habitat in a large Rubbermaid bin. It quite literally takes care of itself 98% of the time. I recently built a 7' x 3' indoor enclosure out of wood, used lined the bottom 8 inches with Rubberseal for water.
Last time I used lava rock for drainage, but this time I am using a 1.5" layer of Hydroton PECA.
My question is, should I use a screen (fine mesh for a screen door for example) between the PECA and the soil layer? I am putting a couple PVC pipes in the corners to add water to the bottom layer, do not know how important it is to screen the top layer off from the drainage.
Any advice appreciated, thank you!
KC

dwright27

5 Year Member
I'm gonna bump this even though 7 months have passed lol

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here's an informative link to the general pros and cons of using these clay pebbles in gardening circles.
In ur case, Id just say if i was doing this id probably not put the screen in. Just simpler. That said, the screen of course will help keep the dirt from getting slowly churned into the pebbles, eventually making them less effective over a period of time. Since you are attempting to create a bio layer....hmmmm, maybe the screen IS the best choice in your appication.

Good luck...let us know what you ended up doing.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Here's an informative link to the general pros and cons of using these clay pebbles in gardening circles.
In ur case, Id just say if i was doing this id probably not put the screen in. Just simpler. That said, the screen of course will help keep the dirt from getting slowly churned into the pebbles, eventually making them less effective over a period of time. Since you are attempting to create a bio layer....hmmmm, maybe the screen IS the best choice in your appication.

Good luck...let us know what you ended up doing.
I recently bought a giant bag of the stuff but haven't used it yet. I have my redfoot currently in a 75g terrarium but her new enclosure finally arrived so I'm preparing to get it set up. Still figuring out what to put on the bottom, I can't find linoleum for some reason lol.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, no you shouldn't use the screen. It would be plugged up and useless in no time.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i did this many years ago , i lined a room with a pond liner , i did put fiberglass screen above the rock layer , it may have gotten clogged , but the plant roots may have broken it up , i have pvc pipes in the corners also , there is never an odor coming from them , i actually put them there for aeration , the water is supplied through the dirt in watering the plants , there are about 9 p.manni that have lived in the room in the winter since somewhere around 1992 .....

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
That would probaby be a good choice, easier than window screen, and made to let water permeate /filter through. Seems like a winner.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i think a weed mat is not meant to have dirt on top of it , i think it would clog faster than a screen ....... some of them are meant to break down in time ........ you could maybe try a layer of sand over the screen ...........

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i do dump their dirty water directly at the base of the plants , the room is overgrown and odorless ..... there is a 7 foot dracaena in the room it is awesome , it blooms every year and i've never smelled a more fragrant plant , the room is sealed and when it blooms you can smell it the second you walk in the house ......