Best type of grape vine

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hello everybody, I want to plant a grape vine to provide leaves for my tortoises and grapes for my chickens. I live in Eastern Washington, there are gazillions of wineries around here so I know groups grow here but I didn't know if it mattered what type of grape leaf you fed your tortoises. I have Russian tortoises. So any suggestions on what kind of grape vine to grow would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've tried a bunch of different types.

Mine don't like the concord grape leaves as much. They are kind of white and fuzzy underneath. They eat all the other leaves from all the other types with equal relish. I have some wine grape vines, Thompson seedless, Flames and a few others that I can't remember.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I planted 4 different ones in their enclosure last spring, think Concord was one of them... oh well:)
They still eat the leaves. And the grapes have a great flavor too. Reminds me of the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I ate when I was a kid and Welches grape juice too.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Concords are my favorite. I have a bunch of table grapes and sweeter wine grapes for eating. They're still young so I'm a little stingy with the tortoises. Never had a problem with any of them. They have turned their heads at older, rougher leaves, but never to a fresh, young leaf.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have a ton of Muscadine grapes I carried here from a property I have in South Carolina.
They are very similar to Concord.
The grapes taste great.
At first, all of my tortoises ate all of the leaves.
Then after a few years, most of my tortoises would only eat the new, dark green leaves.
Now, NONE of my tortoises will eat any part of the plant.
I cut them back every summer, and there is a lot of new growth. But somehow, the plant(s) is no longer appealing to them.
I have no idea why.
The group of Muscadines, actually five vines, is now over 9 years old.

Attachments

• 20160118_111615.jpg
    20160118_111615.jpg
    609.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20150619_134202.jpg
    20150619_134202.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 23

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a ton of Muscadine grapes I carried here from a property I have in South Carolina.
They are very similar to Concord.
The grapes taste great.
At first, all of my tortoises ate all of the leaves.
Then after a few years, most of my tortoises would only eat the new, dark green leaves.
Now, NONE of my tortoises will eat any part of the plant.
I cut them back every summer, and there is a lot of new growth. But somehow, the plant(s) is no longer appealing to them.
I have no idea why.
The group of Muscadines, actually five vines, is now over 9 years old.

I would guess they have enough other stuff to eat in FL. Everything here dries up and dies in May or June, so its all grape leaves, mulberry leaves and cactus pads all summer long.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
On a related note, does anyone know why some grape vines take off and grow into tree trunks in a couple of years, while others seem to just barely survive in seemingly identical planting conditions?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
On a related note, does anyone know why some grape vines take off and grow into tree trunks in a couple of years, while others seem to just barely survive in seemingly identical planting conditions?

I would also like to know the answer to this!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As far as mine are concerned. Maybe it's soil.
In South Carolina these are found almost entirely near creek beds. Good growing soil.
Here in Florida they are (mine are)planted in our low quality and high PH sand.
I have never used fertilizers and haven't watered any of it since it was tiny.
The main stems at about 9 years old are no thicker than two inches wide.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Different varietals have been developed over the centuries to fit the varying climate, exposure and soils of all the different regions growing grapes. Some are best in cooler areas, others on south facing slopes, some for elevation over 2000 ft, some for rocky vs sandy soils, etc etc. best to match the type grape vine you choose to your own conditions. One will thrive while others will struggle

That's why you see the areas like Paso Robles producing great Zins but not so good cabs. Sierra foothills growing great barberras and Napa with their great Cabs.

I like Thompson seedless where I am as a vigorous growing vine that puts out lots of growth for a long period of the year. Of course I'm more after leaf production than grape production.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I tried to grow a vine from a cutting from my neighbors grape plant. Didn't work. I do not have a green thumb. I'm not sure what kind it is that he has, the grapes are small and light green. Very sweet. The tortoises do you like the leaves.
The area I live in has a lot of vineyards. They almost all grow grapes for red wine.
As long as it doesn't really matter what kind of leaves, I will just figure out what grows well here in this climate. I want something with nice big leaves. Of course they grow so much maybe I will just ask my neighbor if I can just pick some of his leaves. That's what I did last year. Although it would be nice to get something going on my side of the fence also. I only have two tortoises for gosh sake's. but my chicken population seems to be growing :)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I tried to grow a vine from a cutting from my neighbors grape plant. Didn't work. I do not have a green thumb. I'm not sure what kind it is that he has, the grapes are small and light green. Very sweet. The tortoises do you like the leaves.
The area I live in has a lot of vineyards. They almost all grow grapes for red wine.
As long as it doesn't really matter what kind of leaves, I will just figure out what grows well here in this climate. I want something with nice big leaves. Of course they grow so much maybe I will just ask my neighbor if I can just pick some of his leaves. That's what I did last year. Although it would be nice to get something going on my side of the fence also. I only have two tortoises for gosh sake's. but my chicken population seems to be growing :)
I like Thompson seedless and Flame. Both are table grapes and are very vigorous vines that do well most everywhere. They also put out more growth and leaves than most types. The Concord is not as vigorous a grower and tends to stay smaller

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah, I just checked in with Barb in Chicago. It's supposed to be a high of 27 F on Saturday there. Brrrr...

We are in the 80s this week. I think it's time to turn my lawn sprinklers back on.