Best substrate for Bells Hingeback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Hello all- I'm in the process of building a larger table for an adult Bells Hingeback I recently adopted. He's currently in a 40 gal terrarium which is too small to my mind. I've got him on a substrate of cypress mulch with sphagnum moss in his hide. Any thoughts on the suitability of this?

Also, any thoughts on the benefits of running water vs a soak pool?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
That substrate is perfect for them. I would stick with non running water. Can be a huge hassle to change out.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I keep mine mainly on a coir/sand combo (80/20%). I usually have a small area with the cypress but over all I don't like the stuff. The running water would be neat in theory, if you were setting this up as a visual for like your frontroom. However tortoises like to do their bowel movements while soaking and it would be hard work for most filters to keep up with it. You would be changing the water all time between the waste matter and what they drag into the water. Best to go with a pool with a water depth to where the two shells meet.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input. I will skip the running water for the pool then. I've got a ton of experience setting up filter systems, but mostly for fish and crabs. I didn't think about cleaning poo out of the system and that does not sound fun. I'll get pics up once it's done. So far I've got the table itself done, 4'x4' square.

He has only pooped once since we've had him, but it was while I was giving him a soak in the laundry sink (not used with any cleaners) and it was huge. Is that normal? I give him a soak every few days, and mostly he's just pissed that I put him in.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
This is the new enclosure I'm working on for my Hingeback. 4'x4' enclosure, 1/2 covered with plexiglass top for humidity. Other half will be open for now. Bigger hide than he currently enjoys. I put a shower drain in the pool so I can easily change water out through the bottom of the tank into a bucket. Shower pan liner in the bottom of the tank. Still working out how I'm going to heat this beast of a tank. Planning on a substrate of cypress mulch and sphagnum moss in the hide. Couple of nice rocks for eating and walking around. Looking into live plants (in planters/pots). Im a bit concerned about warping and mold as its a wood tank. Let me know what y'all think and please be free with advice, I'm always looking for helpful hints! Thanks

Would probably help if I got the pictures attached!

image-1637671675.png

image-2207257066.png

image-4075313524.png

Attachments

• image-1104507804.png
    image-1104507804.png
    870.2 KB · Views: 26
  • image-4083962263.png
    image-4083962263.png
    794.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image-4223255518.png
    image-4223255518.png