Best Substrate For a RT?

Artemis the Tortoise

5 Year Member
Hi I have a 7 year old russian tortoise and I'm currently using coco coir. It is expensive and I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative other than sand and dirt. Please help thanks! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1409261589.783650.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Well if you've already bought it, what does it matter. I suspect you are replacing it regularly. This is not necessary. I spot clean as needed and never replace my coir until a new tortoise will be moving into that enclosure.

Coir can be bought in giant blocks at any garden center for about $12. This would be the equivalent of around 2 dozen of those pet store bricks.

Coco coir is my preferred substrate for russians indoors, but fine grade orchid bark will work fine for older ones too. Orchid bark can be found at the hardware or garden store for about $5 for a huge 2.0 cubic foot bag.

Gulu22

I was looking to buy the Zoo Med Repti temp that Carolina Pet Supply has on their website. Would anyone recommend this one, or is there a different one I should be looking at? Also, any suggestions for a humidity meter. Thanks!!!

ShannonC

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
I order Eco Earth in a three-pack of bricks online for $4.99.....each brick is equivalent to a larger bag in the pet store. Then I mix it with some of my composted dirt. This mixture stays soft, stays moist, and works well for me to plant plugs of weeds from my yard for them to graze. I usually order it when I'm ordering other things and get free shipping.