Best plants for a redfoot

Michael Pancari

5 Year Member
Looking for the best plants to grow for my baby redfoot, this is a project i would like to do. I live in florida. :D

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Oh, boy! You're so lucky! Here are some easy ones:

Hibuscus--you guys have in hibiscus paradise!
plantain weeds
Iceplants and sedums--be sure to check for toxicity
pansies -- whole plant
petunias -- flowers are good, feed plant in moderation
coleus
Spider plans
Begonias
Red clover
Mallow
Dandelions
Bristly Oxtail
Hostas

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I can add a few that are easy to grow: pothos, spider wort, opuntia, aloe, dandelions.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
alrighty thank you. im sure my tort will enjoy his fresh greens if i manage to grow them haha
I'm sure you will! Start collecting seeds, as soon as you can, and get yourself some good lighting, and organic soil. I keep my plants in the tort room, which is warm and cozy, ie, optimum for seed sprouting and plant growth. If I can grow greens, anyone can. ;)

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Ooh, ooh, you guys missed three outdoor plants that would probably do well in Florida (or at least if I lived there I'd grow 'em): Mulberry, Fig and Papaya. Get your fruits covered :D

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Ooh, ooh, you guys missed three outdoor plants that would probably do well in Florida (or at least if I lived there I'd grow 'em): Mulberry, Fig and Papaya. Get your fruits covered :D
Right, fruit!!! I keep forgetting fruit because we're a Hermann's house; i.e., no fruit for us. Yes, I remember mom used to feed papaya to our yellow-footed torts. They loved guava, mangoes, cashew fruit, watermelon, and jack fruit.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Right, fruit!!! I keep forgetting fruit because we're a Hermann's house; i.e., no fruit for us. Yes, I remember mom used to feed papaya to our yellow-footed torts. They loved guava, mangoes, cashew fruit, watermelon, and jack fruit.

Mmm.. jack fruit.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Ok if you could only pick 3 to grow for your tort which would you pick!
Mallow, plantains, and hibiscus because they're the most nutritious and abundant. The dandelions will occur naturally. But why limit your choices?

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
PS: I highly recommend getting local weed and house/garden plant guides. They're really helpful, especially when you're out on the field.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Ok if you could only pick 3 to grow for your tort which would you pick!

Would they be grown indoors or outdoors? Indoors: Spider plants, tradescantia, pothos (because they're pretty hardy and easy to clone). Outdoors: Hibiscus, mulberry, plantain (nutritious like @Jabuticaba mentioned). There are so many other choices for either indoors or outdoors. It's kinda hard to choose.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
+1 on the HIBISCUS. However, living in Florida and growing eight hibiscus plants I've noticed one strange thing. All of my tortoises eat and have always loved the regular red or yellow hibiscus, but none will eat the fancy, "hybrid" types with the larger and more ornate flowers. (These have more petals per flower and are less appetizing to them.) However, the leaves, especially the young leaves remain a favorite! Go to Home Depot and get a couple of regular and inexpensive hibiscus in the plastic pots and plant them in your yard. They grow quickly and this time of year, you'll have dozens of flowers every day. Where in Florida are you? I've been told that there is a nursery in Davie that sells Mulberry. I'm going to check it out next weekend.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Grow lights cost too much. I thought about an indoor set up

It depends on the grow light. Those 400W sodium and mercury bulbs with external ballasts will definitely be pricey (both the lighting equipment AND energy bill). A regular T8 fluorescent hood that holds 2 or more bulbs is a cheaper more manageable lighting system for growing indoors.

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
Mulberry, prickly pear cactus and hibiscus. All are easy to grow outdoors and harvest.
Your tortoise will even like outdoors better too if it's an option.

Michael Pancari

5 Year Member
I bring them outside when i can. there only babies. I wont leave them out there due to my last tortoise going missing from a covered outdoor enclosure. (still miss my russian)