Beginner turtle?

Merrick

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
What is the best turtle for a beginner? Also one that might be good with some fish in the same tank. What are their care and size? [emoji217] pls respond and thx

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Most turtles do great with fish it's a great food sorce . Try to stay with male turtles they are normally smaller . I think it's southern painted that has a stripe down its back , the false map turtle is smaller . But all turtles do better in freash air and in real sun light . Hope I helped a little and good luck with your choice :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
A small to medium sized Red Eared Slider would be satisfied in your proposed environment. Sliders do become aggressive as they grow larger (which they will. What will you do with them then?). Sliders, as well as any aquatic turtle will produce a great deal of excrement. You''ll require a BIG filtration system. Are you able to meet s turtle' s needs for sunning in a dry atmosphere under the proper lighting? A Map or Painted turtle also makes a fair aquarium dweller. Hope to have helped. Orv

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
What a lot of people do is get a plastic tub put water in it and feed the water turtle in it . Then return the turtle to the tank until time to feed it again .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Merrick

5 Year Member
South Florida
Thank you all basking is not a problem if I decided to house my turtles outside because of this florida weather Also what about waterland tubs any suggestions

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was thinking a turtle that is almost always in the water like a soft shell. Honestly though, my aquatic turtle knowledge isn't very strong. I had a FLorida soft shell in a fish pond.(DROPPED BY A BIRD?) for years and I only saw it on land once. It one day disappeared. Maybe it was his second and LAST time on land?;)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
What about one of the musk or mud turtles? I don't ever keep water turtles, but if I did it would be one of those. They stay smaller and are so adorable!!

Turtlepete

South Florida
No offense, but some of these suggestions are way off. Does everyone realize the size that RES and red-bellied cooters reach? Both can attain over a foot in length with ease.Neither will ever be suited for a 55 gallon aquarium!

@lisa127 has a good suggestion with the musks and muds. A three-striped mud or common musk turtle are both very easy, cheap turtles to acquire, both would do fine in the size tank you have, and are easy turtles to care for. Plus, the little suckers are adorable ;).

If you live in Florida though, I really don't think you can pass up doing an outdoor pond. You could keep RES or red-bellies (both are found wild here) outdoors year round with ease. I have a couple stock tanks from Tractor Supply store set up outdoors. You can buy a 300 gallon size for $250, which will house pretty large animals, probably up to 8". RES and red-bellies are both pretty personable and friendly turtles. The huge adults are actually pretty awesome to interact with, you just need the space.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
100% agree with the above.
I have three sliders, and they are at the size where there is NO OTHER option besides them living outdoors. Which really stinks, becuase I mean, winter:mad: Painted turtles generally get smaller, and yes, try and start out with a guy, almost always the smallest of the the two genders!
Southern painted are freaking ADORABLE! Thye have little buggy eyes and small heads are soooooo cute! (I'm probably going to end up with more than one!)
Their shell is also a bit more domed o_O Very easy turtles, stays small, and is even a little communal (with fish and possibly another turtle)
Waterland tubs would work great, and can even be converted into a pond.
If you have the space for a pond, why not? You could easily accommodate (as above!) a couple adult sliders in a nice sized pond... although, they eat, like, everything, so you might not have too much luck with smaller fish species :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Map turtles will stay smaller, but again, you'll be having more luck with a male if you want a smaller size. Female map turtles can grow up to 10'', and possibly more (depending on your species,'cause there are all different kinds) :D
I've also read that most map turtles are reasonably commuable, so you might have some luck with fish. Pretty mush the only fish I can have is a 10'' plecostomu (and a 5''), because my one painted turtle is very frisky. When I had little fish in there a few years ago, he ate them all o_O

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
If I lived in Florida, all my turtles and tortoises would live outdoors. No question. Free UVB, enough space. If you're thinking of one as a pet it might take some readjustment on your part.

Waterland tubs are expensive.

The best turtle or tortoise is one that can live in your climate, and one that you simply adore so you are willing to do everything necessary to learn its care and give it what it needs.