Begginer trying to start off right

bookworm13

Location (City and/or State)
ohio
hello im Ashley. I live in rural ohio.
I am just starting out. I have a 55 gallon tank. and that is all. i have few questions and would love some feedback to make sure i dont 1) do something horribly stupid and put the future tortoise in danger or overly stress the poor creature, and 2) dont waste money on things i dont need.
Im looking at getting a greek or russian tortoise in the near future. the research i have done these seem to be the best fit for me. the tank in question is for his/her primary home. in the summer i plan on building a outdoor encloser for outside time.

Now question time.
1) other than substrate, heat lamp, hide, heat pad, food dish, water pool. is there any thing i need to do to said tank in preparation?

2) I'm planning to put a layer or organic soil under a coconut coir be alright or would it be a waste? i would like some edible plants in it.

3) i would like some natural plants growing in the tank. which type would be best that they can eat and i can grow in said tank?

4) where do you find coconut coir and around what price range?

5)how often do you need to change the bedding?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome to TFO

Can I suggest that you start by reading these TFO guides written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian Tortoise Care
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Care of Greeks is broadly similar, so I'll leave it at that for now.

A 55 gallon tank is only big enough for a hatchling. It doesn't offer enough floor space for a tortoise that is any bigger.

If you are planning to get your tort from a pet store, you will be getting an older animal that requires a minimum of 4'x8' floor space.

Reactions: Tom

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
hello im Ashley. I live in rural ohio.
I am just starting out. I have a 55 gallon tank. and that is all. i have few questions and would love some feedback to make sure i dont 1) do something horribly stupid and put the future tortoise in danger or overly stress the poor creature, and 2) dont waste money on things i dont need.
Im looking at getting a greek or russian tortoise in the near future. the research i have done these seem to be the best fit for me. the tank in question is for his/her primary home. in the summer i plan on building a outdoor encloser for outside time.

Now question time.
1) other than substrate, heat lamp, hide, heat pad, food dish, water pool. is there any thing i need to do to said tank in preparation?
You don't need a heat pad. You do need a UVB lamp (NOT a compact CFL type which harms tort eyes), a good digital thermometer (a temperature gun type is best). A terracotta plant saucer is best for water and a piece of flat rock or slate for food. Reptile bowls are not suitable for torts, even the ramped ones.
2) I'm planning to put a layer or organic soil under a coconut coir be alright or would it be a waste? i would like some edible plants in it.
Use a 4" depth of coco coir for substrate. Grow plants in pots and sink the pot into the substrate. They'll grow better and are easier to change out.
3) i would like some natural plants growing in the tank. which type would be best that they can eat and i can grow in said tank?
Spider plants are good. You can grow constant supply of replacement plants on a windowsill
4) where do you find coconut coir and around what price range?
It comes in compacted bricks which you soak and is very cheap from garden stores, home depot or online from Amazon.
5)how often do you need to change the bedding?
Hardly ever. Surface cleaning the substrate is all that's needed. You will need to tip water in every few weeks and mix it up to keep it damp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome Ashley. I would have said pretty much all the same things as Joe's Mum.

What size and age tortoise are you planning on getting? A baby from a breeder? Or an adult from a pet shop?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Ashley!

Sorry to say, your 50 gallon aquarium isn't big enough for any tortoise except a very small baby.

Jenanprid

I have had my tortoise for 4 days now and i have noticed after eating its reaching its neck all the way out and lifting its legs off the ground. Is this normal? Is my tortouse ill? I have noticed it opens its mouth as if food is stuck. I am really worried. It is lying under the heat lamp and closing its eyes. It is now moving around like normal