Beak Trimming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akp022

5 Year Member
Hello, I recently made an appointment for my Greek to go to the vet to have his beak trimmed (it is not horribly overgrown though) so before I take him I was just wondering if there was a more natural way (that would save me $64 to do it) that wouldn't stress him out. Also do tortoises need their nails trimmed? Aggie's are very shart and long and he seems to have trouble walking on them sometimes.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Do you have a picture of the beak and nails?

Is the beak long enough to be uncomforatable or cause trouble eating? If so, I'd say have the vet grind it down with a drimmel. If not, sometimes feeding the tort on a granite/stone tile can help gradually wear down a slightly overgrown beak.

Nails do not usually need to be trimmed, but on occasion they can get overgrown. A pic would help.

akp022

5 Year Member
mctlong said:
Do you have a picture of the beak and nails?

Is the beak long enough to be uncomforatable or cause trouble eating? If so, I'd say have the vet grind it down with a drimmel. If not, sometimes feeding the tort on a granite/stone tile can help gradually wear down a slightly overgrown beak.

Nails do not usually need to be trimmed, but on occasion they can get overgrown. A pic would help.

It's definitely not long enough to cause problems with eating (it's one of his favorite things to do so personally I think he'd find a way around it even if it was causing problems lol) But I will post a picture when I get home from work this evening

lq558

5 Year Member
It is better not to go to see doctor, something like ocupy bone or a zoomed greek calcium caucus block is enough to make the beak normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.