Beagle will not stop eating poop

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
I have to go out at first light every day to pick up the dog poop from 4 dogs so that she will not eat it. I also pick it up all through the day and make sure it’s all picked up before dark. I have to draw the line after dark, but I am getting so tired of it.

I was sick for a couple of days and couldn’t get out there so I had my 9yr old grandson do it, but he’s not very thorough and only does it once a day instead of all day long. So today I’m up and well only to find poop piled up in front of her bed. The other dogs aren’t interested in eating it (thank God) but the beagle wants to guard her stash of poop against 3 large dogs 2 to 3 times her size and I’m afraid they may hurt her.

At first I thought maybe she wasn’t getting enough food so I increased it and now she is too fat and the vet wants her on a diet. I don’t know what this beagle’s story is because someone gave her to us after our other dog died. I think maybe she was from a puppy mill were she had to sleep around it and possibly have to eat it to survive, but that just a guess and I could be dead wrong.

Years ago someone recommended a food additive to prevent it, but I don’t remember if it actually worked because I worked 10 hour days back then and only remember it being such a hassle to administer. I only had two dogs back then and now I have 4 dogs so I NOT looking forward to that again.

Someone else mentioned changing foods which we did several times, but we only give her dry food. It’s not a real problem as long as I’m home and not ill, but I want to go places once in a while.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Sounds kind of yucky but there is a product you can buy. It's a spray with a nasty taste to dogs. Spray the poop instead of picking it up. (For a while)Maybe it will break your dogs habit.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Sounds kind of yucky but there is a product you can buy. It's a spray with a nasty taste to dogs. Spray the poop instead of picking it up. (For a while)Maybe it will break your dogs habit.
Thanks I haven't heard of that but this might be a good time to try it since it's getting cooler and not so many flies.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Here's what comes to my mind. Although, I have no experience with poop eaters and my thoughts don't exactly address the behavior.

Have you ever heard of raw feeding? I have always fed my dogs and cats prey model raw diets. One of the best benefits from this diet is the poop, or lack there of! My 85lb dog produces 1 poop a day and it's smaller than an average "beagle sized" poop. I never have to pick up poop, EVER, because it decomposes naturally. Within 3 days it turns white and crumbles into the ground. I can't help but wonder if that would stop a poop eater. You know, having less poop and "disappearing" poop.

If your interest is perked, do some research into the diet. Or ask me, I'll answer whatever questions I can. You might even find stories in raw forums about poop eaters. Hmmm, now I'm curious to Google it.

Although preparing raw meals is more effort than scooping kibble into a bowl, it's gotta be less effort than 3x a day poop pick up.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There is also a meat tenderizer that has always been used for poop eaters. You sprinkle it on their food and it makes their poop smell and taste bad. Of course I can never remember the name of it. It's one that's been around forever. Ha, got it, Adolphs meat tenderizer.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Here's what comes to my mind. Although, I have no experience with poop eaters and my thoughts don't exactly address the behavior.

Have you ever heard of raw feeding? I have always fed my dogs and cats prey model raw diets. One of the best benefits from this diet is the poop, or lack there of! My 85lb dog produces 1 poop a day and it's smaller than an average "beagle sized" poop. I never have to pick up poop, EVER, because it decomposes naturally. Within 3 days it turns white and crumbles into the ground. I can't help but wonder if that would stop a poop eater. You know, having less poop and "disappearing" poop.

If your interest is perked, do some research into the diet. Or ask me, I'll answer whatever questions I can. You might even find stories in raw forums about poop eaters. Hmmm, now I'm curious to Google it.

Although preparing raw meals is more effort than scooping kibble into a bowl, it's gotta be less effort than 3x a day poop pick up.
I have not heard of raw feeding or at least for Dogs. I heard of Raw feeding for Cats, but I thought they were talking about raw dead mice. I didn't want to be bothered with for the cats because I'm not one for kill mice. I'll do a search for "prey model raw diets", but If I have to kill a wild boar or something then I got to pass. I'm not a hunter.:)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have not heard of raw feeding or at least for Dogs. I heard of Raw feeding for Cats, but I thought they were talking about raw dead mice. I didn't want to be bothered with for the cats because I'm not one for kill mice. I'll do a search for "prey model raw diets", but If I have to kill a wild boar or something then I got to pass. I'm not a hunter.:)

I did a quick search and discovered a few testimonies about poop eaters who stopped the habit after switching to a raw diet.

Prey model raw means they eat the bone/meat/organ ratio they would eat from the average prey animal. 10% bone, 80% meat, 5% liver, 5% other organ meat. It sounds complicated but it isn't.

Looks like you have at least a few options suggested. Let us know what you try and how things go. Good luck :)