Bck leg problem

Ratchaawong

Hello guys
just need help
please let me know what we should do , just saw our 10 year old dragging their back leg . It made me think back how much feeding . If we feed them every other day, it's possible that their leg will better like before

Ratchaawong

Hello guys
it was my mistake my 10 years old dragging their back leg . It making me thinking back how much feeding .I feeding them everyday since they were young(3 inch) . and Im indulge with my feeding because my hapiness is sit and watch them enjoy eating. so if I changing to feed them every other day from now, it's possible that their leg will better like before?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Dragging back legs is likely not a symptom of over feeding. Are they housed indoors or outside? If indoors, what do you do for UVB? Where does your tortoise get dietary calcium from?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
What do you feed your tortoise and does it live indoors or outdoors?

Does it have access to UVB light from lamps or the sun? And if yes then how often?

Do you give your tortoise any kind of calcium supplement?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
The reason for asking is that this sounds like Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD). It's not caused by over-feeding but by poor uptake of calcium caused by bad diet and/or lack of UVB light

Fredkas

5 Year Member
@Yvonne G has some experience with this.
From what i know, your aldabra maybe lack of calcium if not house outside.
Or maybe lack of uvb if house inside.
You can think of it while having others suggestions from other members too. looks what is the most possible factor you lack of and maybe that is the problem with your aldabra.

Ratchaawong

@Fredkas@joesmum@sarah

They living outdoor , I usaully feeding them with mazuri , grass from my garden (dont know how to call in eng) timothy hay , hibicus , morning glory , bokchoy ,mulberry leaf ,grape leaf and cactus and gauva 1 time a month . I dont really know their weight now ,they are too heavy to check up . I got last record since they were 8 yearsold as following for supplement I took exo terra one a month
My substrate and place they live now as picture as following
Th ground before it full with mud here have terrible rainingall 3 month long
1. fm=75kg
2.m= 66kg
3.m=63kg

20161103_131755.jpg 20161103_061559.jpg 1479208111056.jpg 1473858368755.jpg 1473858358635.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, my tortoise's back leg problem involved all legs and was/is attributed to calcium deficiency. I doubt this tortoise has that same problem.

If you have noticed any fighting between the sulcata and the aldabran with the leg problem, it might possible be that leg has come out of the hip socket. We had this happen to one of our Manouria tortoises who got a bit too rough with the female and she got rough back. She pushed him and in trying not to be pushed, his leg dislocated. It required surgery. You can read about it here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/case-file-on-darth.116347/#post-1078380

Ratchaawong

I'm sorry, my tortoise's back leg problem involved all legs and was/is attributed to calcium deficiency. I doubt this tortoise has that same problem.

If you have noticed any fighting between the sulcata and the aldabran with the leg problem, it might possible be that leg has come out of the hip socket. We had this happen to one of our Manouria tortoises who got a bit too rough with the female and she got rough back. She pushed him and in trying not to be pushed, his leg dislocated. It required surgery. You can read about it here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/case-file-on-darth.116347/#post-1078380
Thank you Yvvone