Baytril with leopard tortoise

Avery1623

I was given a baby leopard tortoise that I suspect has the beginnings of a respiratory infection. I have a vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow but I have read leopards can be sensitive to Baytril. What would be my best alternative? I am leaning towards discussing Fortaz with the vet but wanted to see if anyone had any experience or suggestions? No discharge and she did eat but her breathing seems heavier than I'd like and every so often I can hear a little clicking. Thanks for any help!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds to me like all is good. Be sure temps and humidity is correct, Toms threads below in my post will help with that. If you raise the over all temp to 85 for a few days to a week it will help if it's just a little cold. To me it doesn't sound like a vet visit is needed or meds.
Maybe describe what you are seeing that makes you think it's breathing hard and has an RI? If it were mine, I would not be taking it to a vet at this point. Some vets don't know enough about tortoises and can cause more harm then good.

M

Maggie Cummings

I agree with Barb, it's not time for a Vet yet. At times they click when they're eating. Could that be what you hear? I personally would do what she suggests....good luck

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Babies breath funny sometimes. I am going to agree with the above. It doesn't sound like an RI to me.

Avery1623

Ok thanks everyone! It isn't clicking when eating. I hear it when I hold her up by my ears. Almost sounds like her nose is a little stuffy. I did bump up the temps so the coldest spot is 82. I just got her on Sunday and she did eat quite a bit today.

She was being housed with a baby hermanns tortoise who is very sick so I think I will just take him in tomorrow and leave the leopard at home. I have a thread on him too. He is doing better than he was but he still does not want to open his eyes all the way and hasn't pooped or eaten (although he has peed twice). image.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bump up the temperature to at least 85F all over the habitat, soak him daily for at least a half hour. I think it would be a good idea to have a vet who is well versed in tortoises take a look at him. But don't allow the vet to give him a vitamin A,D, E injection.

I think Ceftazidime is another ok antibiotic for tortoises.

Avery1623

There are two. One really is a leopard lol. They both ate a ton this morning so I am on my way to pick up higher wattage bulbs for them.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hope they are both doing OK.
Don't know if you've already seen this when buying your current bulbs, but avoid coiled or loop type cfl bulbs as these could cause eye damage. Apologies if preaching to the already converted, only may save you some money as well as your torts health.

Avery1623

I think that is part of the problem with the hermanns. The owners had a coil bulb. I do have 18" strip lights for them.