Bathing sulcata tortoise

Pheelinestiel

So! I'm new to tortoise keeping and while I love this little guy/ gal, I've noticed she/ he is very dirty. I was wondering, when I had aquatic turtles we used to regularly "bathe" them. As in get a tooth brush and under running warm water we would softly scrub them. It helped with the hygiene and I hope reduced salmonella since they were constantly played with. I have a sulcata now and I know we're supposed to soak them as they are a desert species so that they drink but, can I actually bathe it. Like, scrub it clean so it doesn't have dirt on it?

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I guess I am really lucky , the dirtiest Speedy gets is a green face or a face full of Mazuri after he is done eating ! He does get a daily soak , and I pour water over him and it seems to do the trick. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So! I'm new to tortoise keeping and while I love this little guy/ gal, I've noticed she/ he is very dirty. I was wondering, when I had aquatic turtles we used to regularly "bathe" them. As in get a tooth brush and under running warm water we would softly scrub them. It helped with the hygiene and I hope reduced salmonella since they were constantly played with. I have a sulcata now and I know we're supposed to soak them as they are a desert species so that they drink but, can I actually bathe it. Like, scrub it clean so it doesn't have dirt on it?

First I feel its important to let you know that sulcatas are not a desert species and in fact they thrive best in the opposite of desert conditions. You see, they hatch at the start of the African Rainy Season when things are hot, humid, rainy, and there are puddles, marshes and green growing food everywhere.

Now to answer your question, yes you can gently scrub them under running warm water if you feel the need.

More sulcata info here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it is not going to hurt them, so if you want to do it there's no harm.

Katashia

North TX
I do! Before the get their coco oil massage
Do you do it on just their shells or their little leggies too? I had wondered about that because there are so many uses for it for animals, but wasn't sure about reptiles.

Godfrey's Mom

NE Ohio
i do the same with the coconut oil, just a dab. And i use a toothbrush and give her shell a soft scrub periodically. Only the legs if she is really dirty.

Katashia

North TX
My turtles bottom jaw has become discolored due to the foods she's eating. Would it be acceptable to gently clean the area with a soft toothbrush?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My turtles bottom jaw has become discolored due to the foods she's eating. Would it be acceptable to gently clean the area with a soft toothbrush?

Yes, but its unnecessary. That discoloration is normal and harmless.