Bathing/Soaking Update

W Shaw

Thanks to all the folks who offered great suggestions yesterday! I bought a small opaque dishpan today to replace the translucent smaller box. Ronan still hated it, but was less stressed by it, and actually actually put his head out and sniffed the water. He also stood up and walked around. I think he figured he had a chance to escape, while in the small box he felt fenced in. I offered him a treat but he refused to be distracted by it. Unfortunately he also defecated and urinated almost immediately, and I didn't want to soak him in poop soup, so he didn't get a long soak. But, although he sulked afterward, he did approach and accept a treat after a few minutes. He shunned me again afterward, insisting on eating his dinner from his plate -- he normally demands hand feeding at bedtime. But all in all, I think he tolerated it a lot better and getting a special treat afterward reduced his sulking time. Thanks for the assist, everyone!

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
That's good that he pooed in the bath. That's a good thing. What temp water are you using? Try 90-95 degrees. Only about an inch...he'll get used to it...especially if he gets food after every time.

W Shaw

I haven't measured the temp, but I've been making it about the same temp that I would use to bathe kittens or puppies at a vet clinic.

But after what seemed like a success last night, he's stayed in his nest all day and wouldn't eat his breakfast, so I guess it wasn't any less stressful than the last attempts. :-(