Barb Lucy Trinity

Dan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Known male on left, suspected female on right. 496 and 618 grams, respectively at ~19 months. Note the pronounced groove in male's tail through which as if by necessity the hemipenis is everted when defecating. image.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love it when we get to see how baby tortoises grow. This a a great thread, and thank you so much for sharing it with us. You're doing very nice job with those beauties.

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
584, 490, 720 grams today. Smaller two have flashed; the largest one, mercifully has not yet, so I suppose names like Mr. Lahey and Randy might be more in order, in keeping with the Trailer Park Boys motif.

All things considered, it's pretty amazing how voraciously these have been eating and how quickly they've grown in the time I've had them.
image.jpeg .

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
584, 490, 720 grams today. Smaller two have flashed; the largest one, mercifully has not yet, so I suppose names like Mr. Lahey and Randy might be more in order, in keeping with the Trailer Park Boys motif.

All things considered, it's pretty amazing how voraciously these have been eating and how quickly they've grown in the time I've had them.
View attachment 196178 .

And how old are they today ?

UPdate: Never mind. You mentioned it in the previous posts. So they are around 2 yrs old. Hmm.

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
And how old are they today ?

UPdate: Never mind. You mentioned it in the previous posts. So they are around 2 yrs old. Hmm.

Yep, they will be at two years from hatching in April.

Has anyone noticed these vocalizing before? Mine will make a low sound I could best describe as 'quacking' when they're soaking sometimes. I would have been skeptical that tortoises had much of voice had I not heard it myself.

RickyGoldsmith

5 Year Member
Uranus
Yep, they will be at two years from hatching in April.

Has anyone noticed these vocalizing before? Mine will make a low sound I could best describe as 'quacking' when they're soaking sometimes. I would have been skeptical that tortoises had much of voice had I not heard it myself.

For 2 yeras old, your torts have an impressive growth. Mine got 2 years old on the 31st. And mine weren't hatchlings, so we could add another 6 months/1 year for their actual age.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/posts/1431996/

I've had them make such sound, sometimes, when I touch them while they are asleep. I've seen them yawn multiple times and its a delight to witness it.

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
Still trucking along at 646, 468, 814 grams, clockwise from bottom right. Smaller two definite males, largest one still exhibiting female characteristics. Springtime is coming here but it's still far too cold to get these guys outside. Had to gather a bunch of fresh growth from the yard to feed them. image.jpeg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
@Dan Really looking great! Shows great husbandry.

By 800g should really be able to tell sex. I normally feel pretty sure by 500g. Looking back at your Nov pictures, definitely looks female to me. Also females "normally" have a very characteristic shape that starts to show at about 400g. Plus, with the growth really outpacing the others at this size - that's a good female characteristic. Can we seen updated photos of the largest one? From straight overhead and plastron/tail?

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
More pictures. Now 663, 490, 879 after a good Mazuri meal. Have yet to resort to Ken's methods for determining weight--lot of that's food and water, I know. They were squirmy and then the light kicked off for the night, so not great pics. Anyway, 'female' on top in first picture, sola in second, is rounder vs elongated and still has stubby tail. I feel pretty confident now. image.jpeg
image.jpeg

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
Female for sure!! Looking Great Dan!!!!

Reactions: Dan

Dan

5 Year Member
Indiana
image.jpeg On June 17th, it will be two years since I got this group. I couldn't be more pleased with their color, growth, and health. image.jpeg Clockwise from top right: 780, 612, and 1057 grams today.

Last edited:

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
Dan, they are top notch Burmese you have there. Growth is beautiful!!

Reactions: Dan