Banana Day!

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Here are some random pics of some of the torts chowing down on bananas, skins and all. Some are just a few of the torts walking around. It has been so hot and dry here in South Florida. You can't tell but I just finished spraying them all down five minutes prior. They dry out so quick in the heat. Enjoy.

Wicked Male:

Some of the girls:

Bryan-Here is some pics of Cherry Pie for you:

erdavis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
That's pretty cool, I just have a small sulcata and he's only had banana once, but I never knew that tortoises would eat the peel too. Cool pics :)

Here are some random pics of some of the torts chowing down on bananas, skins and all. Some are just a few of the torts walking around. It has been so hot and dry here in South Florida. You can't tell but I just finished spraying them all down five minutes prior. They dry out so quick in the heat. Enjoy.
Don't worry, we can definitely tell that you keep them wet with those smooth shells!! :p

Telid

5 Year Member
TX
Those have some really great colour on their skin. Cute little guys.

Go banana!

Bryan

10 Year Member!
If you ever breed Cherry Pie to that wicked male of yours I'd be liable to buy the entire clutch from you! :D She has some nice growth coming by the looks of things, I can't wait until she lays for you!

Also I must be a sucker because I always peel the banana's for my torts! I sometimes leave the skin in there with them but they don't seem to care for it. I guess I should give it to them whole and let them work their way into the banana!

inkling13

5 Year Member
central NY
Very nice group! Question though. I was under the impression, from various dietary lists around the internet, that bananas give Red Foots diarrhea and should be avoided. Are they actual safe to feed as an occasional treat then? I'd love to be able to give a banana to my girl now and then since they're a fruit I enjoy myself and already purchase.

Boa249

New Hampshire
Bananas are ok for an occasional treat, I've never experienced any diarrhea with them. I feed then rarely because the torts love them so much. They have a bad calcium/phosphorus ratio though, so they're like junk food for torts.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Very nice group! Question though. I was under the impression, from various dietary lists around the internet, that bananas give Red Foots diarrhea and should be avoided. Are they actual safe to feed as an occasional treat then? I'd love to be able to give a banana to my girl now and then since they're a fruit I enjoy myself and already purchase.

I give my animals banana's, most food is fine in moderation. I have also yet to see one of my animals "hold out" for banana's like some people say is the case. Most of my animals eat a diverse diet except for 1 female who seems to only care to eat mango, papaya and spring mix/lettuce and she came to me as a picky eater.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
The local farmers market sells a big bag of the bananas that are starting to get a little brown for $2. We feed them the bananas once every two weeks. I have not noticed any problems with the poop. In regards to fruit, once a week is a generally a good idea or even once every two weeks. My grandmother would buy whatever fruits she wanted and then Tallulah would get to share.

inkling13

5 Year Member
central NY
Awesome, thanks everyone. I think I know someone who is getting a banana treat today then :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
How cool. Nice health looking torts..

allegraf

10 Year Member!
6th and 7th pic. She darkened up slightly, not so noeon orange this time of the year.