Backyard Tortoise Keeping - Dietary Sustainability

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi friends.

I'm a goal and New Year’s resolution type of person, and this year my "tortoise goals" are to contribute more to the hobby as well as continue to expand my own knowledge. I have some more specific goals to help me along that path, and one of those is to create a new TFO thread each month. My approach will be to simply share what I am doing or discuss a topic I am studying no matter how frivolous it may seem, as that approach is what I appreciate most from other hobbyists. I'll try to remember to throw in discussion questions so this doesn't end up being just a diary.

My focus this month is dietary sustainability. One of the definitions of sustain is "to support the weight of, to carry or withstand". My application of this concept to backyard tortoise keeping is that I want to be able to grow all of the food that my tortoises need or would want to eat and I want to do it without any harmful impact to the environment, the tortoises or my bank account.

That's the long-term goal. I am nowhere near that point yet but am getting progressively better. Here is a picture of my backyard the day we bought the house 2 years ago:

117_zpsf6607afa.jpg

Although the weeds in the foreground look plentiful, they are about 95% mustard. Mustard is OK, the tortoises eat it when it's young but quickly loose interest when the plant grows and turns bitter. The tortoises seem to like the taste of mallow much better, another weed that grows well in the AZ winters. I was only able to locate one plant in the space above, and very quickly I began to miss our previous home:

IMG_21281_zps7637b594.jpg

I tried my best with that single mallow plant, watering it and even feeding it. I let it grow out as large as it could. Last winter I had about 10 plants pop up all around the area where the original plant was. Now two years later things are looking much better:

IMG_3978_zps9jzbtft1.jpg

They are off to a slow start despite the rain we have had, but there's no doubt that my efforts are beginning to pay off. Here's a slightly larger view showing approximately 50 square feet of space all of it mallow:

IMG_3977_zpsiiqcdw3y.jpg

Here's the side of the yard where I am letting the weeds grow out:

IMG_3979_zpsqcrgjako.jpg

It's a good 1,000 sq ft of space or so (I know, it's an incredibly exciting picture). Don't worry about the rocks, the tortoises do not have access to this area. The mallow area is in the front and this is the same area with all the mustard weeds in the first picture from a different angle. I am clearing all the mustard this year manually as I do not want to use any herbicides for obvious reasons. I have other areas in the yard where it is being allowed to grow since I don't want to completely get rid of it, I would just like the mallow to get more of a foothold. I hope that next year I will have much more impressive progress to share.

Dandelion will come around a little bit later in the winter. That’s another one that will take some work in my back yard, but hopefully the efforts I took over the last two winters will give me more plants this year.

There’s more I am working with than just weeds. Forthcoming will be a discussion on the leafy greens and succulents I am growing.

A question for anyone interested – What are your tortoise-safe methods for fertilizing and feeding plants?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cool subject Neal!!!

I wish you had made it to my ranch. Whenever you get out here, I will knock your socks off with all the stuff I'm growing and the ways I'm growing it. I know you'd find some inspiration... Without giving it much consideration, I have been doing exactly what you are talking about in many ways. I don't have time for a long post right now, but I will contribute to the discussion ASAP.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only water. I get lots of dandelion, clover, and a mix of seeds were thrown out there last spring but I can't remember what they were. I also grow grape, mulberry, rise of Sharon and hibiscus. No fertilizers. However, I will sometimes leave tort poop on the ground and then use the mulching lawn mower on it. Oh and that is the only mower I use, the mulching kind, to re-spread the weed seeds back into the yard. Except in the fall when I am starting to save the cutting for winter feeding thrn I bag it. I have a lot of wild bunnies that enjoy my yard too. They leave a lot of coco puffs. Not sure if their poops help fertilize or not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't encourage mallow. It's real hard to get rid of once it's established and my tortoises really don't eat it. I have about 5 plants that I groom and keep small, and I cut leaves off those plants to include in my babies' salad, hoping they'll get used to and like the taste.

See if you can get some of those little corkscrews that get stuck in your long hair cat's fir. That's filaree. It's pretty tasty and good tortoise food.

Another one that is a natural tortoise food, especially tortoises from Africa (and I really, REALLY don't want it growing on my property) is puncture vine. They really go for this plant.

Your rocky area would be very easy to weed populate. Find someplace that has any of the dandelion-types like sow thistle and prickly lettuce. Gather some of the fuzzy seeds and just broadcast them over the rocks.

I'll be looking forward to your monthly threads.

Last edited:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Puncture vine is another good one. I have some growing and meant to take a picture of it but forgot. There was a research study we've discussed here regarding the dietary habits of leopards in....Tanzania I believe. One of the foods the wild leopards ate a lot was puncture vine.

I have several other weed types growing, the two ai've mentioned are the most prevelant in my area.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Love it, I do the same, selectively weed. Goat heads, rabbit brush, and tumble weeds are the first to go, almost free of them after years of working at it.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
IMG_4008_zpsgfgffgav.jpg

Our small garden serves us and the tortoises to a small degree. We don't have a whole lot of offerings this year, but the greenery is edible and I much prefer to feed my tortoises food that I have sprouted and grown vs. grocery store stuff.

IMG_4007_zpsdnzk32ka.jpg

The "sustainability" aspect of our garden is that we will let the plants mature and seed, collect the seeds, then use them for next years crops. The picture didn't focus on the budding lettuce plant, but this will flower in the next few days and we'll collect the seeds shortly thereafter. We're hoping next year to dedicate this garden to the tortoises and grow other types of season greens.

IMG_40112_zpsmrmmjxzd.jpg

This is a vacant tortoise enclosure that now serves as a cactus garden. I currently have 50 individual cactus plants and 12 different varieties of opuntia. I definitely have enough plants to handle the demands of my tortoises, but am still about a year or two off. We've only lived here for two years, and I didn't start planting seriously until about a year ago.

IMG_4014_zps6ds7k4kf.jpg

My succulent collection sucks cause nothing will grow good here. This elephant bush started off as a 2 inch piece I trimmed off of a neighbors large plant several years ago. It seems to have taken root well enough after being planted and replanted several times. This spring I will cut off several of the arms to start new plants.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Puncture vine is another good one. I have some growing and meant to take a picture of it but forgot. There was a research study we've discussed here regarding the dietary habits of leopards in....Tanzania I believe. One of the foods the wild leopards ate a lot was puncture vine.

I have several other weed types growing, the two ai've mentioned are the most prevelant in my area.
Want some Guinea grass? I will for warn you its hilt invasive but extremely nutritious. Native to west Africa (Guinea is origin) has been traced into 100s of nations though. Can grow it in elevated planter beds.

Coexist

I live in Georgia where we have a Leopard Tortoise named Dragon. We got Dragon about 4 years ago now as a hatchling from a reputable breeder. I know I have made many mistakes but luckily she is still alive. It gets pretty cold in GA. At least I think it does! I have a good sized wading pool in a bathroom we rarely use. In it is organic soil and some trails I made from aquarium gravel. I also have two red heat lamps and it's in front of a window that gets a lot of light.

I do my best to give her the best foods I can find. It's not easy at times! I did throw some oat seed in her pool and it's starting to grow some grass for her. Here's my question. (I know... you didn't know if I would ever get to it, right?) Where can I get seeds or plants of the wonderful weeds that you mention here? I keep a list of all the things she can have that I learn of from this forum. I also have a list for our bearded dragon. LOL. But I think Dragon would love some of the nice weeds and grasses that you name here. Any help and direction is most appreciated.

THank you

Coexist

@Coexist, are you looking for seeds that'll grow well indoors or outdoors?
Well, I'm looking for both actually. In her habitat now she is right in front of a window that gets a LOT of sunlight and I keep the blinds open for her. I may be wrong (I usually am) but my thought is that she has warmth from the red heat lamps without it keeping her up all night and during the day she has bright sunshine and more warmth. I'm not married to giving her weeds mind you. I just want to up the quality of her diet and keep her healthy and happy. I have read so much on this forum of the advantages of feeding some weeds that I want her to have the benefits. I'm hoping to make a nice garden for her this year but I'm kind of not altogether sure on how big. My home burns through energy horrifically. Such is life in a home built in 1860. It's a love/hate relationship. Dragon had such an awesome garden at the last house. If I can replicate it here, or improve on it, I may stay.

Anyway, I talk waaay too much. Any and all suggestions are more than welcome.

Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Love it, I do the same, selectively weed. Goat heads, rabbit brush, and tumble weeds are the first to go, almost free of them after years of working at it.
Goat head is the other common name for the puncture vine that Neal and Yvonne mentioned. I realize that its a natural African food and really good for them, but I just do not want that stuff growing on my place. Like you, I pull it and feed it out before it goes to seed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My succulent collection sucks cause nothing will grow good here. This elephant bush started off as a 2 inch piece I trimmed off of a neighbors large plant several years ago. It seems to have taken root well enough after being planted and replanted several times. This spring I will cut off several of the arms to start new plants.

Elephant bush does great here for me… right up until the first frost of winter when it all dies.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yep, puncture vine, my kids are the primary inhabitants of the back yard, so bike tires and bare feet rule.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Elephant bush does great here for me… right up until the first frost of winter when it all dies.

I have the same problem, but covering them on the cold nights helps. We lucked out this year and only had a few nights that got into the low 30's. We'll be in the mid-80's today and upper 50's at night...life is tough.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yep, puncture vine, my kids are the primary inhabitants of the back yard, so bike tires and bare feet rule.

I have the same concerns. I am trying my best to keep these plants maintained to the tortoise pens, and so far it's been OK.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have the same concerns. I am trying my best to keep these plants maintained to the tortoise pens, and so far it's been OK.

Man, that stuff is nasty. It grows wild at my shooting range. When you walk out to check your target at the rifle range, the bottom of your shoes will be full of those horrible stickers. When you get back to the concrete, it feels like you are walking on a bed of them because they are fully stuck in your shoes.

I accidentally walked through a patch of them in New Mexico while filming "No Country For Old Men" and they literally stabbed me in the foot right through my flip flops. I saw a kid ride his bike through that area and it flattened his tires.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have the same problem, but covering them on the cold nights helps. We lucked out this year and only had a few nights that got into the low 30's. We'll be in the mid-80's today and upper 50's at night...life is tough.

We never froze here this year. Very odd. That has never happened and I've live here for 21 years now. It got down to 34 twice, but never any lower than that. We have a little mixed succulent pot outside the back door that contains some Portulacaria, and it has been doing well all winter long. Don't tell my daughter (Its her plant…), but I've been taking cuttings to feed to the stars all winter long. :)