Baby tortoise questions

nick13

I purchased two baby sulcata tortoises 2 months ago. The boy tortoise died after 2 weeks. At that time the girl was sick also but got better after soaks and vitamins. I haven't changed anything in her regiments, but this morning she was in her in closure with her head tucked in to her shell and her legs were limp. as I was giving her a soak she did not respond so I took her to the vet and about after an hour she died. after evaluation the vet said that pebbles was probably sick when I purchased her and there wasn't anything that I did wrong. her diagnosis was severe MBD vs congenital problem rule out infectious disease. I am very sad and disappointed about losing pebbles and bam bam and before I do this again I just want to make sure that this couldn't have been avoided. Even with the best of care is it very difficult to raise a tortoise, because I really wanted to spend the time in nurturing the baby tortoises to adulthood. I live in the suburbs of Chicago Illinois and maybe I just got a bad breeder I don't know. could anybody respond to my questions because right now I am feeling very discouraged.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
So sorry for your loss.

Next time don't get two. Get one only. If they are babies, there's no way to sex them.

Without knowing how you kept them, we can't offer suggestions for improvement, and can neither confirm nor deny that you did everything right. Some hatchlings fail to thrive even when all conditions are optimum. Some are started badly and can't recover. Others pay the price for our ignorance and mistakes. We can't tell you which it was, or what combination without knowing a great deal more, and maybe not then.

Sometimes being made so sadly aware of the terrible consequences turns people into wonderful keepers. Reread the care sheets and see if anything strikes you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Nick, Most breeders start them all wrong. The care of this species has been all wrong for the last two and a half decades since they became widely available in the early 90s. Incorrect assumptions based on temperatures and conditions 2 meters above the ground during part of the year is what the captive care has been incorrectly based on for all these years. We NOW know what really works and why, but it took a long time to figure it out and many people out in the world have still not caught on.

Please check these threads out for more info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.78361/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-end-of-pyramiding.15137/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Even with the best of care is it very difficult to raise a tortoise, because I really wanted to spend the time in nurturing the baby tortoises to adulthood.

No. Its really quite easy if a few simple parameters are met. They just need the right temperatures, humidity, hydration and diet. Raising them to adulthood is fantastic. I've raised hundreds of babies. It never gets old.

Now my next question to you is: What were you going to do with two 150 pound giant, destructive, eating/pooping dinosaurs in Chicago in winter? Do you have an 80 degree gymnasium in your basement?

nick13

Tom, I live on a 10 acre property with a two story heated barn and a house that is 5000 square foot and a full basement that is heated so I have plenty of room.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I live on a 10 acre property with a two story heated barn and a house that is 5000 square foot and a full basement that is heated so I have plenty of room.

That's a relief! I was afraid we would find out you were in a little apartment. Happens all the time. Forgive my cynicism. It took many years to acquire...

When you are ready to try again, armed with the correct info now, I would be happy to help you.

nick13

No problem I can understand your concerns because most of the suburbs of Chicago are small apartments but I live a little bit further out in the country.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
There are plenty of breeders here that start there babies out right. Just have your closed chamber set up in advance and get all the temps stable with high humidity. Temps should NEVER get under 80-85 on the cool side for babies and need as high as 105-110 basking spot.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Sorry about your loss. I worry about my 2 Burmese Black babies(yeah, I know Tom!) regularly. I hate it when a beloved pet dies unexpectedly. Read the care sheets, check and recheck every aspect of your setup for healthy growth. I think I secretly got two in case one died :( We're moving to florida so I 'll have room outside and in.

FYI no coil bulbs! They're bad news!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My humidity is 80, basking spot around 100, and cool is around 80.
What were you using for night heat? Substrate? How often did you soak? What were you feeding? What you of UV bulb were you using?

I'm only asking these questions with the assumption that you want us to help you try and figure out what went wrong. Please forgive my intrusion if that is not what you are after.

nick13

Soak everyday
Wheat grass from pets mart and once in a while collard greens and grass from yard. No pesticides in our grass. 5080 Slimline Lamp w/Desert 7% Fluorescent. Left heat lamp on at night cause it got cold at night but the one side was still dark.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Breed different species o_O

There is only one species of domestic dogs and cats, so a mutt is not two different species. Its two different varieties of the SAME species bred together.

Further, just because a person CAN mix breeds or species, doesn't mean a person SHOULD.