Baby tortoise not active

claire lees

Our baby tortoise don't seem to be very active. One eats everyday one can go 2 days. One walks around the other just stays buried. Very confused . Or are we expecting to much

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Our baby tortoise don't seem to be very active. One eats everyday one can go 2 days. One walks around the other just stays buried. Very confused . Or are we expecting to much
If everything else in within parameters, it is perfectly normal for a baby to sleep and hide for the majority of the time.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome!
There are some caresheets under species specific where you may find one for your torts. The Beginners Mistakes thread is a good place to learn how to avoid problems experienced by others (link below) and the Enclosures thread has some great ideas for safe homes for torts.
Looking forward to seeing some pics of your gang.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Horsefield

You have two living in the same enclosure? That is part of your problem. Tortoises don't do well in pairs. Especially horsfields.

Are you using a coil type bulb for UV? Pets At Home substrate with the limestone bits in it?

What are your four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and overnight low?

These will help:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...together-a-lesson-learned-the-hard-way.94114/

claire lees

Mercury vapour lamp, 32 degree in hot and 20 in cold 1meter square tortoise table. 50/50 topsoil and play sand. See pic had table built especially for them. Got them together as them came together.

claire lees

Hi and welcome!
There are some caresheets under species specific where you may find one for your torts. The Beginners Mistakes thread is a good place to learn how to avoid problems experienced by others (link below) and the Enclosures thread has some great ideas for safe homes for torts.
Looking forward to seeing some pics of your gang.
Hiya and thanks. Will make a good read thanks. Anything I can do for our little guys. We're so excited to have them and make sure there as healthy and happy as can be

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mercury vapour lamp, 32 degree in hot and 20 in cold 1meter square tortoise table. 50/50 topsoil and play sand. See pic had table built especially for them. Got them together as them came together.

Your basking area should be closer to 36-37. That size table is good for a baby, but how do you keep some humidity in there with an open top?

Sand in any quantity has proven to be a not-so-good substrate. The potential for eye and skin irritation is high and the risk of sand impaction is also very serious. I would not use that.

Are you soaking daily? How long are the lights on each day?

The intimidation and stress they feel from being forced to live as a pair can be a very strong appetite suppressant in some cases. They should be separated. Here is another one to make the case for you: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/bad-day-for-baby.114328/
I know that its not convenient and its not what you want to hear, but they need to be separated. Alternatively, you could add one or two more and this might help with this problem, but if they choose to not get along you might have to separate them all. Everyone here loves tortoises and we'd all like to have lots, but you've got to house them according to what's best for them. Two horsfields living as a pair is not best.

Please don't shoot the messenger or be offended. The best interest of your tortoises is my sole reason for typing. You've come asking for help with an issue, and I'm just trying to point out your potential problems and offer solutions in an effort to help.

claire lees

As I joined the site for help and information Im not offended. We got them together as the breeder said they would be better together. We can amend our living arrangements for them and adapt what we use with helpful information offered by you and others here. I appreciate the info

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
As I joined the site for help and information Im not offended. We got them together as the breeder said they would be better together. We can amend our living arrangements for them and adapt what we use with helpful information offered by you and others here. I appreciate the info
Unfortunately some breeders, and pet shops, are more interested in profit than aftercare, but good to hear you are open to advice and I'm sure your torts will have a good home with you. This site is a godsend - I have learnt such a lot in the time since I joined, and I still learn something new everyday!!

claire lees

Seems that way, we're so dissapointed in her now. But we're so determined to be good owners of our little guys, thanks for the reassurance and I hope been on this site will give us what we need xxx

claire lees

Came home today and both my little guys were eating and been alot happier, nothing like a new owner worries. Plans in motion now for separation although quite sad about it. But it's so much better been able to talk to everyone for information. Thanks all

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't be disappointed in the advice given by your breeder. I also tell people that two babies are better than one...and this is usually good advice. When there's another baby at the feeding station, competition for the food makes them eat better.

But, as we all know, rules are made to be broken. Your two Russian babies are the exception to the rule. Obviously TWO in your case isn't going to work out. It was good advice, given in good faith, but no one knows 'the answer' until it actually happens.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Don't worry, don't panic. You'll get all the help/advise you need. Ask questions, read threads and care sheets. ;)

Please post pics of your torts and enclosure(s) so as to enable us to help you. And good luck!:D