Baby Sulcata SQUEAKING!

Location (City and/or State)
high desert California
I have two baby sulcata tortoises (one named chomper and the other named nug). Lately nug has been squeaking more frequently. There has been no bubbles at all yet (I know about RNS). Is this normal? Should i continue bathing him? i had a baby die on me recently and it squeaked as well. I love my baby very much and am a very concerned father.

high desert California
I have two baby sulcata tortoises (one named chomper and the other named nug). Lately nug has been squeaking more frequently. There has been no bubbles at all yet (I know about RNS). Is this normal? Should i continue bathing him? i had a baby die on me recently and it squeaked as well. I love my baby very much and am a very concerned father.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Squeaking is not normal for Sulcatas. Seems like Redfooted tortoises are pretty vocal, but not sulcatas. Since sulcatas don't do well in pairs, I suggest you separate them. Treat the squeaky on as if he's sick, and warm up his habitat overall to about 85F degrees. Make sure he has a nice shady spot to get away from the light. Soak him in warm water every day for about 15 minutes. The squeaks should go away, but if they don't, take him under a very bright light and have a look up his nose to see if there's something stuck up there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Move the non-squeaker to new quarters and leave the squeaker where he is to reduce stress.

Tortoises should not be kept in pairs. It is very stressful, and chronic stress can hamper the immune system.

We need to know your temps and what equipment you are using to maintain them day and night. Respiratory infections can often be stopped simply by raising the temperatures. Never let this tortoise get below 85 day or night (but still dark at night), and make sure it has a basking area around 100 degrees for at least 13 hours a day.

Here are some set up tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

high desert California
Ok everyone I just read everyone's posts and I separated the two tortoises when I bought them I bought them from a breeder and Bought them together. he says that he raises baby sulcatas, greeks and golden greeks all the time and everything that he uses to keep them alive is what he is shown me.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
There are several things I can see that you might want to change. Others will chime in and point all this out to you. I am interested first in knowing what are you using for night time heat? and how is that temperature regulated?
I think that Yvonne had a great suggestion to put the squeaker in a separate enclosure so that it's environment can be managed differently than than Chomper's. It looks like you have just divided the enclosure, which may reduce the stress.

high desert California
how humid should it be and how do i regulate that? i also put the pellets because i dont want my little guys to eat something they are not supposed to and i heard these are natural and can break down easily in their stomachs if they eat it or if it touches their food. i also will post a picture of some other bedding i have for them i am not sure if it is ok or not. plus i heard from the breeder i got it from that this is exactly what he does and his babies live and grow old. i also heard not to bathe them if they are squeaking because it can change their body temps and that could make them sick as well. I am just really concerned and i am looking for cookie cutter answers ( temps need to be ... during day ... during night, humidity needs to be... and how to regulate, bedding needs to be ... how often do i change it, they need ... amount of water. im sorry if this is long and worried sounding but its because i am worried and i care about these little guys i would hate to lose a baby

phebe121

I have leopards and the care for them are almost the same i have my cool end at 85 and basking at 98 ,you do need to soak him thats how theh get water just make it nice warm water and make.sure.it doesnt get cool,for humidity if you use coconutcoir and water it everday and cover most of the.tank should keep it up