Baby Sulcata not looking so well. any advice?

Huut

Hello guys on Tortoises forum:

My Baby Sulcata isn't doing very well lately, he is sluggish and have blowing little bubbles from his nostrils. He only wakes up after a 20 min soak and eats up little grass/weed. then he would go back to sleep and won't move at all. I noticed one of his eye is puffy, like white and puffy..and he couldn't open it when he is awake. Occasionally he would stretch his neck and legs, and he would make this "cheee" or "yap yap" sound with his mouth. twice a week I would soak him with Calcium D3 diluted in the water. I talked to one of the reptile owner working at a pet shop, he suggested I can do that in order for him to get some calcium in. I'm so worried about him, he seems sick and tired.. and I will try my best to do anything to keep him healthy and happy.

He started behaving like this roughly about 2 weeks ago, before that he would walk around everyday and push his little orange ball to corners to corners. and get into trouble climbing up and down on the wood branch. he was so energetic before!
His bottom plastron is bouncy, and has always been a little bouncy ever since I bought him/her in. It feels like soft little bottle caps, I press in a little and it bounces back.. (I'm so terrible at describing this but I hope I'm getting my point across...) I've read post about baby sulcata born with soft plastron and as it grow it hardens. But I'm not sure about mine. I think I can estimate it around 4 month old, or 5.

I've attached few photos for you guys to take a look at and I love to hear any suggestions and advices to improve a better home for my few month old Sulcata

Bedding: eco earth coconut coir substance
Humidity: I've got a All Living Thing humidity digital measure stick on the glass enclosure, measuring 50-56%
Temp: Highest temp is 109.5F,then around the place is 80-87F. The coolest area, which is the hiding area is 77.5F.
Diet: I've been feeding my Sulcata chopped Timothy hay, Dandelion, baby kale, collard green, bakchoy, and little pieces of cucumber.
UVB: 100w mercury bulb from ZooMed PowerSun. And at night I use 50W ZooMed Nocturnal Infrared Heat lamp plus a small heating pad underneath hiding area.

I live in Canada so winter here is long and dry. I hope to pump up the humidity for him, and hope to look for a vet to check my sulcata out.
If you guys know anyone, or any friends who lives in Canada, Toronto. Please help and suggest any good, reliable reptile vet that I can immediately go to... I've called up a few around my area but they said aren't really specialized in reptiles.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• IMG_4447.JPG
    IMG_4447.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4448.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4449.JPG
    IMG_4449.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4450.JPG
    IMG_4450.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4451.JPG
    IMG_4451.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4452.JPG
    IMG_4452.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4454.JPG
    IMG_4454.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4455.JPG
    IMG_4455.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 60

Zeko

5 Year Member
I live in Canada as well, but unfortunately in Alberta. Looking at the details you posted, there is two main things:

1) Temperatures: If is is blowing bubbles, he likely has an RI. You need to increase temps so the lowest spot is 85*F and he needs a basking spot of 100*F or so.

2) After you increased the temperatures, you need to work on increasing the humidity. I use humidifiers plumed in.

3) You shouldn't need any night time light. The heat should be coming from Ceramic Heat emitters run o0n a thermostat set to the correct temps, running day and night.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Agree with Zeko above. Toms threads explaining some of this is below in my thread. The lowest temp on a non sick baby can be 80 but because yours may have an RI you need to raise it to 85 and don't let the baby get cold. Get the temps right and see if he gets,any better. If he gets any worse, he should see a vet.

Huut

Hey Zeko and Willington:
Thanks for the advice, I should increase my 'cool hiding side' around the range of 85F. hot side so far stays that 100F range. The issue with my enclosure is that if it gets hot and substance gets too dry. I spray it twice a day into the enclosure. but still couldn't get a higher humidity... The Ceramic Heat emitters, should I get a 60W or any preferable Watts for a baby sulcata? If there are any recommended brand products I can purchase in local Pet stores I'm glad to check it out.

Many many thanks

Zeko

5 Year Member
Hey Zeko and Willington:
Thanks for the advice, I should increase my 'cool hiding side' around the range of 85F. hot side so far stays that 100F range. The issue with my enclosure is that if it gets hot and substance gets too dry. I spray it twice a day into the enclosure. but still couldn't get a higher humidity... The Ceramic Heat emitters, should I get a 60W or any preferable Watts for a baby sulcata? If there are any recommended brand products I can purchase in local Pet stores I'm glad to check it out.

Many many thanks

1) Yes, increase the coldest area's temperature to 85*F.

2) Humidity comes second to temperatures. He wont die with low humidity, but will die with low heat. Once temps are figured, look into closing the setup's top, so humidity stays in, or run a humidifier

3) I get the largest Ceramic Heaters, but run them on a thermostat, so they kick on and off when needed. This will let you scale them to future setups as well. All ceramic heaters in pet stores seem to be of the same quality. The black ones hold heat better, the white ones do not.

4) Sink his dishes into the substrate. Back in the day I lost a tortoise to flipping over climbing in/out of one. Was the last time I ever simply sat them ontop.

Huut

1) Yes, increase the coldest area's temperature to 85*F.

2) Humidity comes second to temperatures. He wont die with low humidity, but will die with low heat. Once temps are figured, look into closing the setup's top, so humidity stays in, or run a humidifier

3) I get the largest Ceramic Heaters, but run them on a thermostat, so they kick on and off when needed. This will let you scale them to future setups as well. All ceramic heaters in pet stores seem to be of the same quality. The black ones hold heat better, the white ones do not.

4) Sink his dishes into the substrate. Back in the day I lost a tortoise to flipping over climbing in/out of one. Was the last time I ever simply sat them ontop.
Sounds good. I will got them under my check list to do for my sulcata.

is there any thing I can help my sulcata in terms of his puffy eye and soft plastron shell?
I have a typo in my first post where I said soak him twice in calcium diluted water. I meant to say, I soak him everyday, but only twice a week I have diluted calcium powder into the water for him to absorb and soak..

I'm a little freaked out as I looking more at more into both MBD and RI symptoms and catches some similiar symptoms in my Sulcata...
:(

Zeko

5 Year Member
Sounds good. I will got them under my check list to do for my sulcata.

is there any thing I can help my sulcata in terms of his puffy eye and soft plastron shell?
I have a typo in my first post where I said soak him twice in calcium diluted water. I meant to say, I soak him everyday, but only twice a week I have diluted calcium powder into the water for him to absorb and soak..

I'm a little freaked out as I looking more at more into both MBD and RI symptoms and catches some similiar symptoms in my Sulcata...
:(

They harden up as they grow. As long as you are using that UVB bulb of yours for 12-14 hours a day, that end of things will be fine. Make sure to put some calcium on his food two times or so a week as well.

RI will usually fix if you bump heat up, if you caught it early enough. If it gets worse, bring him to the vet. Also, make sure the MVB bulb is not too close to him, I think your size needs 12-14 inches above him. This is why I use Ceramic Heaters for heat, and UVB fluorescent tubes for light. Perfectly controlled setup that way.

Huut

Ohh! ok!
Ceramic Heater sounds a good plan. my baby Sulcata has been showing off these symptoms for 2 weeks now. I hope I'm not too late to make him feel better. thank you Zeko for your kind help. I really appreciate it. I will update you guys if he gets better in time!

ShannonC

South Carolina
To increase the humidity in my enclosures, I actually pour water into the substrate.....I don't mist. I find a few places and poke a hole in the substrate and pour water in, then cover the hole back up. I do that in several places through the enclosure so that the water is spread all over and all the substrate is wet except for the top layer. Then cover up as much of the enclosure top as you can to keep the heat and humidity inside. I usually do this once or twice a week, depending on my humidity readings.

Huut

To increase the humidity in my enclosures, I actually pour water into the substrate.....I don't mist. I find a few places and poke a hole in the substrate and pour water in, then cover the hole back up. I do that in several places through the enclosure so that the water is spread all over and all the substrate is wet except for the top layer. Then cover up as much of the enclosure top as you can to keep the heat and humidity inside. I usually do this once or twice a week, depending on my humidity readings.
What kind of enclosure do you have for your sulcata? do you use those glass tank, or self-built wooden enclosure ? do you pour like hot water directly in?
Thanks Shannon!

ShannonC

South Carolina
I actually don't have a sulcata. I have three Leopards and a Russian. I have glass, plastic and wood (sealed) enclosures. I use warm water, not hot. But I just pour it into the corners and other places around the enclosure until the substrate is good and moist all over. I just make several little holes with my finger, then pour water in, then cover the hole back up with dry substrate. You have to be careful not to make your enclosure soggy.....that's TOO much water. If I were in your shoes, I would add a little water at a time (I use a 32oz Gatorade bottle) until the humidity gets up to where you want it. Covering the top is very important in keeping the humidity in. Otherwise it will just evaporate right out the top. And invest in the right temp/humidity gauge!!! The ones you buy at the pet store are expensive and crappy!! Go to Lowes and buy one. Accurite is the brand, and one $10 unit measures temp and humidity. It's best to get one for each end of your enclosure. It also tells you high and low temp and humidity for a 24 hour period, so you will now how cold it gets at night and how low the humidity gets during the hotter part of the day.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Huut. You can provide a humid hide. Thats where most of my sulcatas like to burrow at night. Temps about 90 in the hide. I use a plastic container with a hole cut out so the tortoise can enter and some little vent holes either on the lid or sides of the container for air flow so the moss doesnt get moldy. I fill it with sphagnum moss and I keep the moss wet (no soggy wet) but wet. Keep the humid hide over near the hotter side. Your tortoise will stay nice, warm and humid when it wants to.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Whats important right now is keep soaking that tortoise in warmer water 3 times a day. Keep the temps up and HOPE for the best. You could soak your baby in baby food mixed with calcium. Try that. I hope to hear that you caught this RI in time and he/she gets better:)

Huut

Hello everyone for you guys kind comment and wish for my sulcata to become better. I've been soaking him two times a day for 30 min in luke warm water with shredded baby carrot and calcium with D3 in it, pumped the temperature up, moist the enclosure... having the coolest side in the range of 87-89.

Today he isn't eating at all .... and I know he is tired and feeling unwell. I'm really sad to see this happening. Then I saw this product online called FLUKERS Vitamins drops. Has anyone used or heard of this product? some people on this forum used it and it seems to make the baby sulcata a little better slowly. But again I'm not sure how early they've caught the sulcata sick, or if I'm too late. Should I give a try on that Vitamin drops?

Thank you once again everyone .. :( much appreciated..